Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Buying a house tips please!

We somewhat impulsively put an offer in on a house and I'm trying to get up to speed with the logistics of getting ready for a move. We've only bought 2 houses and the last one was 15 years ago. I know markets vary and everything is regional.
    Are there any special things we should write into the contract? Just trying to think of all little and big things that I should consider.
    We're doing a mortgage so have the full appraisal stuff and we'll be getting our own inspection. Doing a 60 day close contingent on the inspection and such. We aren't contingent on selling our current house.
    I'm sure I'll have questions on getting our current house ready too but I'm focusing on being the buyer now. Thanks for any advice!

How very exciting! We just moved into a new house in August. I don’t have many tips because we 1000% wanted this house, so we did not negotiate hard or demand a lot. We did have an inspection and asked for them to fix most everything, and they agreed. Since we REALLY wanted the house, we were totally flexible with the closing date...we wanted to make our offer as appealing as possible. We also didn’t need to sell our home, which also helped.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Moving?!?!? Wow!!!!
    K

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Moving?!?!? Wow!!!!
    I know! We have been going back and forth on this forever and had pretty much decided that this was our forever home. It was really just a whim to go to the open house. Got in the car and dh said, "we should buy this house." I had been the one steering the moving ship so when he loved it it was a no brainer. Hopefully they'll accept or at least negotiate. Luckily no other offers yet.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    How very exciting! We just moved into a new house in August. I don’t have many tips because we 1000% wanted this house, so we did not negotiate hard or demand a lot. We did have an inspection and asked for them to fix most everything, and they agreed. Since we REALLY wanted the house, we were totally flexible with the closing date...we wanted to make our offer as appealing as possible. We also didn’t need to sell our home, which also helped.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I wonder if we should have been more flexible with the closing date. I just threw out 60 days since 30 seemed too soon. But, I don't really care. We'll see how negotiations go.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We bought our current house on a whim a few years ago and it was the best decision. Good luck! I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    We bought our current house on a whim a few years ago and it was the best decision. Good luck! I hope it all goes smoothly for you.
    That's good to hear! I know they haven't accepted it yet so this is all premature but it's exciting and scary. It adds about 10 minutes to our commutes which feels like forever but I know it's not. I just never expected to go farther out but the deck, yard, quiet...are all so nice and I couldn't get those closer in.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I know! We have been going back and forth on this forever and had pretty much decided that this was our forever home. It was really just a whim to go to the open house. Got in the car and dh said, "we should buy this house." I had been the one steering the moving ship so when he loved it it was a no brainer. Hopefully they'll accept or at least negotiate. Luckily no other offers yet.
    Do not use an inspector recommended by your agent. Ask your pickiest friend who has moved recently.

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Do not use an inspector recommended by your agent. Ask your pickiest friend who has moved recently.
    Awesome tip! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I wonder if we should have been more flexible with the closing date. I just threw out 60 days since 30 seemed too soon. But, I don't really care. We'll see how negotiations go.
    If they make a counter offer, you can ask their realtor if they have a preferred closing date. Then use that. We changed our closing date twice at the request of the sellers.

DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast