Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Default What time do your elementary schools start?

Quote Originally Posted by Philly Mom View Post
    People here are objecting to the early start time for elementary based on child care and the additional costs. This just shows me that after a few years, everyone will figure it out either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I find it much cheaper and easier to only need after care than to need both just a little before care plus after care! DS’s school opens the doors at 8:30 for an 8:45 start time. There is absolutely no way I can drop him off and get to work in time to start at 9! On days I have to teach a 9:00 class he goes to before care. On days it doesn’t matter so much when I get to work I put him on the bus about 8:15-8:20 and can get to work about 9 (but not early enough to park, walk to building, set up for class, etc. before 9). Next semester my earliest class is 9:30 and I am really looking forward to not needing to do before care.

His elementary offers on site after care, but not before care. So we use our daycare for both. It is actually cheaper than the school’s after care option, and I have to take DD there anyway, so it works well for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by gymnbomb; 10-26-2019 at 08:57 AM.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

8:40 is elementary start here. As much as I Personally would hate to start earlier, I do think it is easier on both kids and families when elementary schools start on the earlier side. That way families can just figure out after school care rather than before & after. We offer before/after care through the Y at our school but it is expensive - very expensive IMO and I am not personally a fan of the program.

The next town over only has after care in 2 of the elementary schools and there is a lottery to get in - SO hard on working families!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Elementary school starts at 7:40 and ends at 2:45. I am a SAHM so I pick up and drop off. ODS goes to bed at 7:30 pm and reads until 8. He wakes up naturally around 6:15 am. He hasn’t asked but I would refuse to let him do after school activities that would have him going to bed later than 8 pm. He needs quite a bit of sleep to be his best self. He is grumpy and short-tempered when he doesn’t get enough sleep. He will be in middle school next year and it starts at 8:40 am so he could potentially do some activities that are later in the evening if he wants.

Spoiled here - 915am start - drop off beginning 845. Dismissal is 345. Shared bus system with high school so HS starts early and finished those routes then starts with the elementary kids.

ETA - school offers before and after care.

DH drops off and I do pickup from after care.

We have flexible working arrangements so works for us.
    Last edited by marymoo86; 10-28-2019 at 12:19 PM.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ours start at 8:50am and let out at 3:25pm, but when DD had tutoring last year, we had to get up at the middle school time (tutoring started at 7:50am, IIRC.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4