Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would try a vibrating alarm. You could set multiple alarms on an Echo dot and she would have to speak to Alexa to turn them off. But all of those would still be disruptive to the rest of the house. I think the best thing would be for you to wake her and make sure she is out of bed and showering or brushing her teeth before you leave the room. Hopefully it is just a phase and you won’t have to do it for long. I would say no naps too... if she wants and has time for a nap just encourage an earlier bed time on those days instead.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    No way would an earlier bedtime work here either. Heck, my kiddo is rarely home before 9:30 most nights after activities!!
    I bet the nap could be messing with the sleep. Maybe try skipping those for a bit and see what happens.
    Otherwise, I would try one of those wake up light alarms- starts getting brighter about 30 minutes before the alarm goes off.
    Same. Can’t imagine a bedtime between 8pm and 9pm for a teen with activities, homework, etc. I would also suggest losing the naps.

What about those alarms that go under the pillow and vibrate? Would something like that work?
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I think it would be an extremely rare teen that could get to bed earlier. It’s really just not how the typical teen internal clock works. My 12 year old is asleep at 10ish and he is the kid I have to wake up most days. He has always been a deep heavy sleeper and the alarm rarely works. Sometimes I can plant the idea in his head before bed that he really really needs to get up with the alarm and sometimes it works. He’s going to hit puberty sooner or later so I need to follow for ideas. Also curious about Alexa?

I have a 15 year old who I guarantee does not get enough sleep no matter what I say, and he can reluctantly get himself up every day, so I don’t think it’s the lack of sleep. Just the kid.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

sounds about right for certain teens. I had this alarm clock as a teen and I could never sleep through it, like I did the others. Posting link for novelty, not bc I think it will solve your problem

https://www.ebay.com/i/113628789993?...xoCM1QQAvD_BwE
    Last edited by ged; 10-25-2019 at 03:14 PM.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Maybe let her fail and be late for school? It's the natural consequence. I agree it's hard to get up, and my DD still struggles with this and she has gotten better as she gets older.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We ended up having to get this one for our super heavy sleeping older kidSonic Alert SBB500SS Sonic Bomb Extra-Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Red Flashing Alert Lights and a Powerful Bed Shaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK...1SDbB477D89its the vibration piece that is key for her

Its so loud that kids in her dorm complained to the hall director but it gets her up for her 8am class

It’s the vibration piece that seems to be crucial for her to get up
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    We ended up having to get this one for our super heavy sleeping older kidSonic Alert SBB500SS Sonic Bomb Extra-Loud Dual Alarm Clock with Red Flashing Alert Lights and a Powerful Bed Shaker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OOWZUK...1SDbB477D89its the vibration piece that is key for her

Its so loud that kids in her dorm complained to the hall director but it gets her up for her 8am class

It’s the vibration piece that seems to be crucial for her to get up
    The name alone sounds hilarious!
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)

My Dd is the same age and has similar hours. She’s a light sleeper and has now issues waking up with her iPhone alarm.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

It may just be that she's a heavy sleeper and will grow out of it. Or not and she will make her roommates and future partners hate her--my DH can still sleep through his alarm clock in his mid-40s. One thing to consider with the napping and the amount of sleep is whether she has sleep apnea. A sleep study could be helpful. Good luck! I think some of my children have inherited my husband's sleep skills. I believe their ADHD also complicates it. There are some alarm suggestions if you google ADHD and sleeping through alarms.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You are NOT alone. My teen does not manage the alarm, at all! This kid can sleep through anything. A tree fell on the house a few years ago. It was 8 feet from the bedroom, the kids slept through it all! I usually give a reminder to set the alarm at night and when it goes off in the morning I go in and turn it off. I do not leave the room until feet are on the floor and the child is three steps away from the bed. Even then, we have had to move the alarm time a few times to ensure that there is plenty of time before the bus comes.

When I was a teen and into my 20's I could turn an alarm off in my sleep, even when it was on the other side of the room. It was a problem in college...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast