ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Would you do ancestory for this?

I have never met my father as my mom had me at 16 and he was 18. I talked briefly to him on the phone in high school and sent him a letter when I was 18. He lived in California and I live in IL. One time he randomly stopped at our house and my stepdad said he looked homeless.

I don’t want a relationship and certainly don’t need any additional drama in my life but a part of me is curious about the rest of his family.

I just turned 43 so it’s been a long time.

Would you investigate?

Sure. It is one the least invasive ways to find out from people who’ve opted to be in the system. Sometimes very interesting info and even photos other distant relations upload. They usually have great deals around the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sure, why not? It doesn't mean you have to pursue a relationship with your father, but it might give you the history that you're interested in knowing.

amyx4 is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

One time he randomly stopped at our house and my stepdad said he looked homeless.

I don't know your stepdad but is there any change this statement could be inaccurate?

My sil wanted to find her dad so my dh looked for him when they were in their late teens. Their dad turned out to be a decent human being just very, very, very laid back guy. He never looked for his kids. However, when given the chance to renew the relationship, he seized it and turned into a decent grandfather. (Obviously, proceed with caution)

kali is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Well at the very least you might get a chance to learn the family medical history.

boilermakermom is offline Bargain Alerts forum moderator

Sure, why not. What do you have lose?

If he still lives in CA, it will be likely a text/email relationship for a long time anyway....,