Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Any tips or, perks, or programs that would be helpful for a new small business?

I formed an LLC for my new private therapy practice. I have never had a small business before. I do have an accountant lined up for 2020, but my "doors won't be officially open" until 2020, so 2019 is all start-up.

-One specific thing I am looking for is a free spreadsheet/program that I can track expenses. It seems I don't have excel on my program. This does not have to be complicated and does not have to be an accounting program for my purposes (no employees, I can use a calculator, etc). A friend of mine told me she actually does hers on a handwriitten spreadsheet, and I would just use hers, but she is out of town for a few weeks and can't get it to me.

-Any thing else I might qualify or benefit from as a new small business? I know that is a broad question, but I know how to figure out most of the speciifcs of what I need.

Thanks!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

NCGrandma is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Any tips or, perks, or programs that would be helpful for a new small business?

If you haven’t already looked into this ... make sure you get info about all the various types of insurance you’ll need. This would include professional liability, fire/theft/liability insurance that covers whatever office space you will use, etc (hope some other solo practice folks can fill in about "etc"!).

In addition to tracking expenses, you will of course need to track income! How will you be paid (e.g., check, cash, credit card, whatever)? If you will accept credit cards, do you already have info about how to do this? Will you accept insurance? If not, will you provide clients with a statement that they can submit to their insurance, if relevant? How will you keep track of, and follow up on, payments you are owed (unless you require that everyone pay in full at the time of service).

Have you already started to create a website for your business with at minimum info like: services offered, your training and experience, office location with directions, contact info, and the like.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 10-27-2019 at 12:35 PM.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Google has a free spreadsheet program- Google Sheets. I use it for my volunteer expenses since I can easily share the files in real time and they’re simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Thanks for the replies; a couple of questions and answers.

I will need a website; I have done some research, but would love input. I already know I am not wanting to pay a huge amount to design it and then a substantial monthtly fee. I have read about things like go daddy, wix, and others, but am a little overwhelmed in this area. Any advice is appreciated! I do not have coding experience, so may need to pay a little more for templates, etc, as I understand it. Also, I tend to be more comfortable with paying someone upfront for their work (if I have to pay to design a website) then paying them a substantial monthly fee. I know I will need to pay some monthly fee to the hosting site, or whatever that is called.

As far as google sheets; I am a little confused as some services are free and some you need to join G-suite to pay for. I am hoping I can get buy with the free stuff. I will not be using this for protected health information, as that will be in my EHR. Do you think the free editions will be good enough?

Thanks!

I am good on insurance; that kind of thing is easy to find and get local answers to!

I will accept health insurance, and am able to figure all of that out as well; additionally I will be using a paid electronic health records system that will help with billing, credit card info, etc. I don't know all the details yet, but know which direction to go to to find this out.
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Google recenlty changed its pay structure, so I'm not sure how it is with new accounts. But it used to be that if you had a Gmail account, you got Google Drive (Sheets, Docs, Slides, Drawings, and a few more) for free up to 15 Gb. And G-xxx (Docs, Sheets, etc) didn't count as any space. Google Sheets has a number of templates you can use. I'm sure there are some for tracking finances, though I'm not sure how closely they will match your needs. (You can modify them.) Google Sites also used to be free; I'm not sure if it still is. It's not super intuitive, though.

The free editions are "good enough" (sometimes just), but they are not private (which you've already addressed). You can limit access to them as far as people needing a link (so they are not "searchable"), but Google itself always has access.

Congratulations on your new business!
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

The therapist I used before we moved uses www.therapysites.com and schedules appointments online using www.yellowschedule.com. I loved that it was super easy to book an appointment and that the service sent reminders about upcoming appointments. I also found her website to be very professional.

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Check out Wave Accounting. I’ve been using it for my small business accounting for several years and it gets better every year, and it’s free.
    DS 2/09

Thanks, I will check these sites out!

Are there any discount programs for small businesses that I should know about?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I bet there are some networking organizations you can join locally that will have some good resources to share. That's an avenue I'd explore.

Zansu is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Please explore SCORE, Service Corps of Retied Executives, https://www.score.org/

You can connect with a mentor from your industry. Their services are free.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast