Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

[QUOTE=Mommy_Mea;4346035]Honestly this bothers me for anyone, for kids of any age. Asking the 4 year old about his "girlfriend" just because he has a friend that is a girl? So many loaded things in that statement.
    /QUOTE]

I'm so glad it's not just me that it bothers. I don't understand why people do that with little kids. It makes me cringe every time.

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I’m pretty hard liner with this kind of thing, maybe I’m extra sensitive due to my work with abused women and DV in general. But I’m seriously so tired of that and even more so, with the excuse that it’s older generation and therefore we can’t do anything about it. There is a choice we can make and do.

Just tell grandma to stop it; period or you guys would leave. Educate her why it’s inappropriate. It’s the only way they learn and to start respecting the kids choices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    You're exactly right, and we have done that. Then time goes by and she does it again.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d be tempted to say, “Why do you assume he likes girls?” To shut her up. (BTW, I know my kids would have been 100% behind that comeback.)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

So totally cringy. I remember a few people who asked this question a lot and they were all quite socially awkward. But it is really strange and inappropriate. I use these as a teaching moment that some people don't have a right perspective on romantic relationships, which is why we take relationships very seriously and relationships are for grown ups, not children. Some people also don't think before they speak and that is why I am teaching you to be thoughtful with your words. Also, sometimes older people have different ideas and we can respect them (the people) even if we don't agree with them (the ideas), etc. etc. As weird as it is, I think children can learn from stuff like this and it just can be a talking point.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd be super ticked too. I have an aunt like this. We do not see her often!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    I’d be tempted to say, “Why do you assume he likes girls?” To shut her up. (BTW, I know my kids would have been 100% behind that comeback.)
    I was thinking something along these lines would be a great comeback! As long as the kids are okay with it !

Ugh, yes, I hate it when people default to this. I try to provide plenty of other prompts about what is going on in their lives so they don't have to default. But it's a huge battle.

My 7th and 4th grader both have friend groups who are primarily the opposite gender. They comments get old.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2