Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post
    I’m just speechless how this flies at all. 7-8 hours of screen time everyday is insanity by any stretch of the imagination. What’s the need for sending the kid to school? We can just pass them an iPad over cooped up at home.
    Our school sent home logins for something called prodigy math and I’m not a fan of this at all of doing things online especially at this age.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    My son's school uses prodigy (not in school, just if the kids want to for extra math practice at home) and I don't care for it--it's 90% video game and 10% math practice. Not very effective IMO.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Older teacher, recently divorced and recently enrolled in a masters program. This was all laid out at back to school.
    So she is probably doing her masters coursework during school hours.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    So she is probably doing her masters coursework during school hours.
    That’s exactly what I was thinking.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So my friends opinion is that the teacher is going through a tough time and needs compassion. She’s divorced slightly over a year and around that time that’s when the chrome books started. Still, she hopes her now 2nd grade son doesn’t get here next year. There are only two classes so it’s a 50/50 chance!

I guess that’s why she stays! Parents don’t like it but they don’t care enough to do something about it.

ETA: my use of “She” is complicated in this post. The friend I met with today is the former PTA president. She’s got a 5th graded, a 2nd grader and a TKer at the school. My friend with the child in the class is outraged but did remove her child from school. He’s being homeschooled right now but is hoping to get into the local charter school.
    Last edited by bisous; 11-13-2019 at 06:07 PM.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would have been compassionate after the divorce - a year later?, not so much!

If HS works for her, great. But I would push the issue. Principal, Superintendent, news? And I would let the principal know NOW no way no how should they place my next child in that class.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm sorry, this teacher has made a conscious decision to abandon all of the basic teaching skills used for elementary education and is using methodology that is absolutely not aligning with any curriculum for elementary school. There is NO WAY the amount of use of chromebooks and lack of all other mediums and teaching to warrant this.

I am sorry if this sounds cold, but her divorce is no excuse for this, honestly any type of personal crisis (severe illness of family/death in the family etc) is no excuse for this. If she is struggling and just dialing in the year, she needs to take a year off (teachers can usually get extended leave for medical/stress etc as their benefits are often pretty extensive).

I would encourage her to not give this teacher a pass.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I'm sorry, this teacher has made a conscious decision to abandon all of the basic teaching skills used for elementary education and is using methodology that is absolutely not aligning with any curriculum for elementary school. There is NO WAY the amount of use of chromebooks and lack of all other mediums and teaching to warrant this.

I am sorry if this sounds cold, but her divorce is no excuse for this, honestly any type of personal crisis (severe illness of family/death in the family etc) is no excuse for this. If she is struggling and just dialing in the year, she needs to take a year off (teachers can usually get extended leave for medical/stress etc as their benefits are often pretty extensive).

I would encourage her to not give this teacher a pass.
    Oh I’m with you. Because as hard as her life is she still needs to do her job. Teachers are so crucial for kids. They spend six hours with her every single day. I think there is room for compassion but not at the expense of all these children!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I can’t think of too many other jobs where such incompetence is ignored, and as you said our kids are with teachers several hours every day so it is an extremely important job.. yet I’ve seen this play our year after year In our school system as it’s almost impossible to fire a tenured teacher.

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We had a kindergarten teacher that went through a divorce a few years ago, and she went from one of the best, most loved kindy teachers to two years of being grumpy with the kids and not teaching well. I have several friends who say because of that year, their kids have struggled with anxiety about school and haven't recovered well even several years later. At least two have ended up at private school. I understand divorce is a horrible, horrible personal thing to go through, but teachers, especially elementary school teachers have such a direct impact on our kids. It is so frustrating that this level of incompetence is tolerated, no matter what is going on in their personal life. I am all for compassion, but that teacher needs to figure out a better way to handle what is going on in her life.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5