Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default What would you do if your DC had a teacher like this?

This is happening to a friend of mine. Her DS is at their local elementary which she mostly likes. He is now in 3rd grade and his teacher only uses chrome books all day. She’s very direct about this. She stated at Back to School night with pride that she does no teaching unless they fall behind on their chrome books. They never do art. They never write with pens or pencils. Only type on chrome books.

My friend visited the class today and saw the kids in action. They sit in a dark room with chrome books. The classroom is silent and there is nothing on the walls. Sounds like the opposite of what I’d want my child doing all day!

What would you do? Id do anything in my power to leave that classroom but would probably want to make a formal complaint as well. Is that overkill?

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Yikes!! I know there is a big push for 3rd and up to be using technology due to the state tests being on computer. However, what you are describing is extreme. I would not be okay with this at all. The principal must know what she is doing??? I would complain to the principal and want my child moved. If that got resolved to my satisfaction, I would leave it at that. I would not complain higher than the principal provided the principal moved my child.

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    Yikes!! I know there is a big push for 3rd and up to be using technology due to the state tests being on computer. However, what you are describing is extreme. I would not be okay with this at all. The principal must know what she is doing??? I would complain to the principal and want my child moved. If that got resolved to my satisfaction, I would leave it at that. I would not complain higher than the principal provided the principal moved my child.
    Thank you. I value your perspective as a teacher very much!

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wrote into DS4 504 he has to have access to a paper textbook they do a lot of computer work but I know once he hits middle school most textbooks are online and have to be checked out of the library I added it this year ( 5th grade) to the 504 along with a few other things that will be more for his middle school years.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

I wouldn’t be happy as well! For reference I also have a 3rd grader and his classroom is so far from what you’re describing for your friends kid. My kid use chromebook too, they get their own starting 3rd grade but it’s only used minimally.

They still do a lot of hand writing, assignments on paper with pencil though too. Also it’s brightly lit, decorated with age appropriate books and art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

PZMommy is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    I wouldn’t be happy as well! For reference I also have a 3rd grader and his classroom is so far from what you’re describing for your friends kid. My kid use chromebook too, they get their own starting 3rd grade but it’s only used minimally.

They still do a lot of hand writing, assignments on paper with pencil though too. Also it’s brightly lit, decorated with age appropriate books and art.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    This is what a third grade room should look like! My DS had a male teacher for 3rd grade, and while it was not as brightly decorated as some of his previous teachers, it had age appropriate work posted, and was warm and inviting.

Bious, is your friend in my district? I know my district requires us to have student work posted. How the walls could be bare, is beyond me. Also is this a newer teacher?? Those poor kids must get bored being on a computer all day. Plus that is not healthy for them!!!

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That sounds like the opposite of anything I’d want for my kids, elementary or high school, no difference. I would find out if the other 3rd grade teachers run their classrooms the same way. If they do, I would pull my kid in favor of a different setting altogether.
    K

Get that kid out of there!

That sounds horrendous. I can’t imagine anyone being okay with that.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    That sounds horrendous. I can’t imagine anyone being okay with that.
    I think the school this is at is the one your sister's kids are zoned for!

So PZMommy, not your district. It is a very small district and I feel like its pretty backward.

This just seems so extreme and so counter to everything I've ever learned about what makes a good environment for a child. I don't believe the other 3rd grade is like this (but I don't know). My friend is deeply concerned and doesn't know how to handle it. If it were my kid he wouldn't be in there any longer. I'd either be successful in having him moved, move schools or homeschool. But not only do all people have different circumstances that make these options more or less difficult but I'm realizing that many of my friends are significantly less confrontational than I am, for good or ill.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast