Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Heck no. I would have had my child moved after day 1 of that nonsense. I don't send my kids to school to spend all day on a computer. I would get my kid and I would continue to make waves wherever needed to get the district to make the teacher chnage things. That isn't appropriate for ANY child.
    My district started standards based learning this year so there is a little more computer time and even that is making me nervous.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would complain first to teacher, then principal, then escalate if needed until changes were made or my child was moved. It seems the trend around here is moving away from technology... they still use it and have 1:1 devices but they are not used as often as before. At my DC’s (private) school there is a big push to analyze the way they use tech and incorporate other/traditional learning methods as well.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

that sounds AWFUL! I cant even fathom it. Seriously. I'm in 3rd grade this year and we do have chromebook time weekly. But we also have direct instruction WITH the chromebooks. I spend all day working with kids who I know for a fact would get NOTHING out of a day like that. Why bother with the teacher? There are schools online but then the classroom teacher is just a babysitter. Dont they at least get specials? art, music, drama, etc?

Hurts my heart for them.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've worked in elementary schools for 15 years and had two children go through elementary school (now in 11th and 8th grade), and have NEVER EVER seen anything like that. What is wrong with the teacher? How is this allowed? I would absolutely be upset and have a lot of questions for admin for allowing that type of classroom in their school. Students need to learn about technology but there is so much more to teaching and learning that involves so many modalities/senses/and mediums, what your describe is SO WRONG!!!!!

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I appreciate the outrage! I share it too. I haven’t seen this with my own eyes but a second friend who is a high school counselor has a child in this same classroom and is concerned too! I’m mad and my children’s classroom is not like this!

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Has this been going on for a couple of years? I would guess that the principal isn't very strong, if she or he is allowing this to happen.

I'm tired (ironically from teaching!) so my brain is a bit fuzzy. What an awful situation for those kids! If I was the parent I would stress that this type of teaching is not supported by research. I'd also voice concerns on eye strain from extended computer use (which is documented), and body strain and loss of muscle tone from extended sitting. But again, my guess is the teacher is entrenched in her beliefs and the principal is not very strong. In that case, it may take getting several parents together to complain.

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    Heck no. I would have had my child moved after day 1 of that nonsense. I don't send my kids to school to spend all day on a computer. I would get my kid and I would continue to make waves wherever needed to get the district to make the teacher chnage things. That isn't appropriate for ANY child.

Same! Honestly, this sounds like some sort of bizarre experiment. And Bisous, I'm with you, I'd be making a formal complaint.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Sounds awful! I've been on a lot of school tours (2 dozen at least), elementary through high school, and do not like seeing kids only working on computers or schools that tout technology is used for everything. And I much prefer minimal technology for elementary school. I would have to get my kid out of there.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    My district started standards based learning this year so there is a little more computer time and even that is making me nervous.
    This. The scenario the OP describes is beyond disturbing. There is no child best served in this way, period. I'm shocked that parents haven't been up in arms about it already.

I'm really annoyed my kid has already watched 4 full movies in school (his regular class, not specials) this year. I would have to move to a different classroom if not homeschool.

But more concerning is that what about all the other kids? What the heck is that principal doing to let this slide? I would probably mention it to the principal and have a short leash for going over them to the school board/superintendent if necessary. This doesn't sound like someone who should be teaching. How sad for those poor kids.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast