Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yikes! That seems totally crazy to me.

My high school JUNIOR had a pre-calculus teacher (honors level class) at the start of this year who allowed no paper or pencils in his class, did no instruction other than giving the kids online worksheets and asking them to work together to complete them in class and assigned no homework, but told kids who said they felt like they needed more instruction/homework problems that there are "resources available on the Internet" without actually specifying any he'd recommend. I moved her out after the first week with a call to the math department chair. IMO that isn't even teaching - that's proctoring an independent study. Not how any child of any age learns best.

We would not have gotten past Back To School night where the teacher laid it out there without serious questioning and discussion. I'm surprised no one did then.

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default What would you do if your DC had a teacher like this?

I’m just speechless how this flies at all. 7-8 hours of screen time everyday is insanity by any stretch of the imagination. What’s the need for sending the kid to school? We can just pass them an iPad over cooped up at home.
    Our school sent home logins for something called prodigy math and I’m not a fan of this at all of doing things online especially at this age.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by Myira; 11-09-2019 at 10:46 PM.
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

As an aside, I can imagine the other teachers aren’t thrilled about it. Imagine going to all that out of school hours work to get your classroom ready, work on lesson plans, grade work, etc. and have a colleague come in and phone it in and get paid the same amount?

I would first ascertain if what I thought was the class process was true. I would then schedule an appointment to talk to the teacher. Then I would approach the principal and ask for a meeting and come armed with the AAP recommendations on screen time and be like, WTF?! What a PIA to have to do this. I wouldn’t ask for my kid to be switched, because this teacher has got to change or go. I would be upset on behalf of all kids, not just mine. Other kids might not have parents that can advocate for them.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
    As an aside, I can imagine the other teachers aren’t thrilled about it. Imagine going to all that out of school hours work to get your classroom ready, work on lesson plans, grade work, etc. and have a colleague come in and phone it in and get paid the same amount?

I would first ascertain if what I thought was the class process was true. I would then schedule an appointment to talk to the teacher. Then I would approach the principal and ask for a meeting and come armed with the AAP recommendations on screen time and be like, WTF?! What a PIA to have to do this. I wouldn’t ask for my kid to be switched, because this teacher has got to change or go. I would be upset on behalf of all kids, not just mine. Other kids might not have parents that can advocate for them.
    But the hard part is it could take years to get rid of that teacher. I’ve seen some pretty awful teachers and unless they physically touch a child inappropriately, it is next to impossible to get rid of them. The principal has to do various observations and offer all sorts of supports first and most principals are too busy (or in some cases lazy) to do that. Odds are everyone at this school knows she does this, but can’t do much about it. That is why I would push to get my child moved, because this teacher won’t be leaving anytime soon.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

So apparently both sets of parents have asked to move their child and the administration won’t do it. Both classes are “full” at 24 kids and that’s all they’ll say!

Dogmom, yes this is actually confirmed by the teacher who is weirdly proud of this??? and also when my friend visited the classroom she observed it personally. And I agree that it’s sad and unfortunate especially for parents who don’t or can’t advocate for their children.

At the same time PZMommy is correct that the behavior is not outrageous enough to remove a teacher with tenure. My mom (retired elementary teacher) said the principal can and should tell her to stop. But what if she refuses? I don’t know what the story is with the principal.

I’m super worked up about this and it isn’t even my child. I think all children deserve better!

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

drs note prohibiting computer use over 1h? letter to superintendent?

eta: I agree that there are 2 issues - removing MY kid from the class and getting the teacher to change or getting rid of them.

Getting rid of tenured teachers IS notoriously difficult esp if the principal does not want to force the change. But I cant believe that the other parents have not complained.

I have a friend who did pull her child from PS and home school them using an online school (so computers all day) she said it was a really good program and there was much she liked about it but I still cant fathom having this environment in a classroom.
    Last edited by doberbrat; 11-10-2019 at 08:32 PM.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    But the hard part is it could take years to get rid of that teacher. I’ve seen some pretty awful teachers and unless they physically touch a child inappropriately, it is next to impossible to get rid of them. The principal has to do various observations and offer all sorts of supports first and most principals are too busy (or in some cases lazy) to do that. Odds are everyone at this school knows she does this, but can’t do much about it. That is why I would push to get my child moved, because this teacher won’t be leaving anytime soon.
    Yep. But if we had a situation like this, I personally would be putting my kid in private school or homeschooling for the year. With written complaints over the principal if the principal wouldn't change the student's class.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

If the principal wouldn’t move my kid, I like doberbrat’s suggestion to get a doctor’s note and contact someone higher than the principal. I’m glad I’m in a district where you can freely move to another elementary school, as I would not let my kid stay in a class like this.

Bious, our of curiosity is this a younger/newer teacher??

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PZMommy View Post
    If the principal wouldn’t move my kid, I like doberbrat’s suggestion to get a doctor’s note and contact someone higher than the principal. I’m glad I’m in a district where you can freely move to another elementary school, as I would not let my kid stay in a class like this.

Bious, our of curiosity is this a younger/newer teacher??
    Older teacher, recently divorced and recently enrolled in a masters program. This was all laid out at back to school.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast