elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default If yo u have a PB sofa, which one did you choose?

I like the look of the Pottery Barn sofas, but our local Pottery Barn doesn't have all of them on display so I am curious which ones people have bought and what they are like. Specific questions:

1. Which model did you buy?
    2. How stuffy are the back cushions? Are they pillowy and softer or firmer? I am looking for a firmer back cushion.
    3. How deep is the seating? I can get the dimensions of seating online and some are definitely deeper, but how is the feel? Like, for an average person, do you need a pillow behind you to sit or is the depth more of a normal seating depth?

One last, specific question for anyone who has bought the "tight back" sofa (the back doesn't have separate cushions), how is that vs a regular sofa? Is it deeper than a regular sofa and does the back still have a nice feel (although probably firmer)?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We just bought a new couch and I had a Crate and Barrel one all picked out online. Immediate no upon sitting on it. Happened again and again with different couches. I’ve concluded that they are just something you can’t buy without sitting on yourself. Check out Arhaus and Room and Board.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    We just bought a new couch and I had a Crate and Barrel one all picked out online. Immediate no upon sitting on it. Happened again and again with different couches. I’ve concluded that they are just something you can’t buy without sitting on yourself. Check out Arhaus and Room and Board.

I have tried out a bunch of them at the store so I kind of have a general idea how they are, but just not every style. You may be right but the ones at the store were better than any at other stores I have looked at--I just don't want to limit my search to the ones that were on display at the store since they have a lot more options online.

I have looked at sofas at many stores, including Mitchell Gold, but haven't found any I liked better.

Have you checked out Room and Board? Much higher quality than PB.

ETA: we have two tight back couches, Ian style, from Room and Board. Their website ranks everything in terms of softness/firmness, seat depth, back height, etc. It is very helpful. We like firm couches. Our friends have the York, which is softer and more cushiony.
    Last edited by georgiegirl; 11-10-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Pottery barn furniture is not really well made. I second the room and board recommendation-we’ve had excellent luck with them and their furniture is made in USA. Another excellent option for upholstery is Taylor King, their pricing for their Taylor made line is comparable to pottery Barn but much higher quality and you can customize. https://taylorking.com/PDF/Category/21.PDF
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 11-10-2019 at 04:57 PM.

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have the Pottery Barn Buchanan roll arm: https://www.potterybarn.com/products...a&isx=0.0.3607, we bought it about 5 years ago.

At the time, I really wanted a roll arm style to match a set of chairs we already had. They didn't have this model in store, but I talked to the sales associate quite a bit and she recommend this one of all the roll arms I was looking at. It is pretty comfortable, the cushions are firm but not overly so. I would say the seat depth is "normal."

FYI the seat depth varies between different models. I remember not realizing until the sales associate pointed it out that another style I was considering, the Cameron, was designed for small spaces and had a steeper back angle and shorter seat- she thought it was less comfortable and didn't advise it unless we needed the space savings.

I really wanted the Performance fabric for the stain resistance because I wanted a beige sofa. So far it has held up pretty well.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

Okay, I will check out Room and Board based on this thread. I have never even been to the store--for some reason, I thought it was a lower end furniture store. I know that Mitchell Gold has also been recommended on this board, and I did check them out, but I just didn't really like any of their sofas (or chairs which I am also looking for).

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yeah, Pottery Barn has a reputation they don’t deserve (of being good). Then again, I personally think brands are overrated. We went to a gazillion stores to pick our stuff and, to be honest, there was actually good stuff at Value City. We bought stuff all over- Crate and Barrel, Arhaus, Pier 1 and Value City. If you like it, does it really matter what store or designer it is?

Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 11-10-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Yeah, Pottery Barn has a reputation they don’t deserve (of being good). Then again, I personally think brands are overrated. We went to a gazillion stores to pick our stuff and, to be honest, there was actually good stuff at Value City. We bought stuff all over- Crate and Barrel, Arhaus, Pier 1 and Value City. If you like it, does it really matter what store or designer it is?

Store names don’t matter but there are real and significant differences in furniture construction and quality. Lots of high end stores (pottery barn, Restoration Hardware, even arhaus) sell the same cheaply made Chinese imports than you can get at a fraction of the price at World Market or Target, but it is still a cheaply made product, just priced accordingly. If you do your research, you can buy much better quality for the same prices charged by a Pottery Barn or Arhaus. For wood pieces, you can usually find much better quality at furniture consignment or Craig’s list of the pieces are at least 25 years old or so, when even middle market furniture was made domestically. Crate and barrel use to be an exception because they used manufacturers like Lee Industries or Mitchell and Gold for their house brands, not sure if that is still the case.

Sherrill Furniture is another made in America company that lets you customize upholstery. We’ve had both a couch and an upholstered bed frame from them that were well made.
    Last edited by westwoodmom04; 11-10-2019 at 10:36 PM.