bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Family Christmas gift ideas

Hi,

We’re doing family gifts this year (1 family gift instead of buying for all nieces/nephews/parents) and I’m having a really hard time figuring out what to get. It was so much easier when I could pick individual gifts for them. Both families have young, very energetic kids (oldest is 7). They aren’t really into games or puzzles. Trying to think of something fun they would all enjoy. Thought about tickets to somewhere but don’t really know what they would like and we live in different states. And I need to figure this out before thanksgiving when we are exchanging gifts....

Any ideas? Thanks

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Membership to zoo, museums, amusement park, gardens...
    Treats. Harry and David type gift sets of food.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

cmo is online now Gold level (500+ posts)

Tabletopics card packs have been popular across our family groups; there are sets that are family, teen, and adult-appropriate. There are also placemat-format options that are also family-friendly. https://www.tabletopics.com/

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Search cratejoy.com for a monthly subscription the family may enjoy

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Love the membership and tabletopics ideas! We would love either of those.

Our county parks are paid entry (think mountains, lakes, hiking trails, paddleboarding, etc). We do lots of hiking, kayaking, geocaching, etc. We were gifted an annual county parks pass one year and we LOVED that. Bonus that it came with a pamphlet of other services we had no idea our parks program offered, even though we had been buying the pass for years.

One thing MIL once said to me when they asked what we wanted for Christmas and we asked for a membership: But DD needs something to unwrap! Grandma needed the satisfaction of getting DD something tangible to open for Christmas. We worked together to find a cool "thing" for DD to unwrap that was linked to the theme. In this case it was something DD had seen at her last trip to the museum with us that she wanted from the gift shop, but could be anything representative of that place if you want something for the kids to unwrap.

Are you flying and planning on trying to take said gift with you and we need to think about packing concerns?

Santa always brings us a family gift to DO something with: one year it was snowshoes for the family, one year it was a YMCA family membership(we have 2 incredible ones near us in the national parks), Fun sleds or snow fort building materials, outdoor games like cornhole or ladderball... I'll keep thinking

I would ask them for some ideas. Assuming you're going to spend a decent amount of money for a combined gift, it would be a shame to get them something they don't value.
    I have a de-cluttering business and it has totally changed my views on gift giving. I cannot tell you how many drawers I open that are full of unused gifts, and how many things people can't get rid of because X relative gave it to them, even though they have never used it and won't use it.