Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Kroger is the best. If you have a Kroger owned store nearby, go for it! Their membership system actually makes it so easy to see what you have bought in the past and reorder.
    K

umsh is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I love my Fred Meyer (Kroger) curbside pick up!

They divide the site into parts - a "start my cart" with your 50 or so most often purchased items. (Based on your customer loyalty card.) Sometimes, this is not so good... like when peanut M&M's come up as most frequently purchased.... a "my sale items" items you have purchased in the past that are now on sale.... and a "recently purchased. You can just click on the item to add to your cart, so using these, your shopping goes faster the more often you use it. They have regular search functions, too, of course. They also have digital coupons, so you don't have to mess with cutting/remembering them, and they give you extra coupons based on your purchases. They do email or text if they are out of something, but I have found out what days my store gets shipments, so I can order when they are best stocked! But, at least for me, most of my subs are them giving me the larger size when they are out of the smaller one - AND they give me the price of the one I ordered. We always have the option to refuse subs at the car, and they keep them separate so they're not digging through your stuff looking for them. That being said, subs are unusual - less than one in a hundred items, I'd guess.

In any case, I think that between the alerts when items I buy are on sale and coupons, it more than makes up for the 4.95 charge - though I don't like the charge. I'm hoping now that Walmart is free pick up, it will get reduced or waved for orders over $100 or something similar.
    I’m so glad you mentioned the start my cart feature! I’ve been meaning to try Kroger for a while but would always get overwhelmed...this should help a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2khj is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I use pickup at least once a week at Walmart and HEB. Sometimes I will use Kroger, but recently it seems HEB has been cheaper.

Walmart is 100% free to use.
    HEB charges a small percentage of the items, plus 4.95 (for same day pickup). If you order a day ahead, the 4.95 is waived.
    Kroger used to charge 4.95 as well, but I haven't used it in awhile, so I'm not sure if it has changed.

I love that I can compare the prices and get the item at whatever store is cheapest. I stick to the grocery stores for Produce and Meat, unless I'm in a pinch. I have very rarely (like maybe once in the past 2 years) had an issue with the quality of produce/meat that was selected for me. I even had them (HEB) call me once to tell me the sell by date on an item I wanted as really close and did I still want it, or did I want to pick something different. The substitutions can be turned down at the car, I've only had to do that once where the item selected was not close to what I ordered. We have had a few mishaps (missing items, received someone elses items), but all three stores have been great about making it right. ETA - if I'm super picky about a brand or product, I will just turn off subs for that item.

I also find I spend less, because for the most part I stick to what is on my list and don't have a lot of impulse buys.

It has been a game-changer for me!
    Last edited by mom2khj; 11-12-2019 at 04:58 PM.
    mom to DD1 (17), DD2 (14) and DS (9)

I ADORE grocery pick-up.

We're in the midwest and my go to grocery store is Hy-Vee. I used to have them deliver to my home. If the order was $100 it was free and they brought the bags to my kitchen counter. I'd tip the driver but still a bargain for my time, driving, frustration and impulse purchases. When I moved my delivery store changed and I do not like that store. I'm about equal distance from three stores but the delivery boundaries are strict. I went to pick-up. It is free at $30. The lead window is 6-12 hours depending on time of day. I pick a one hour window and in dozens of times they have missed the window once and did call me.

Their online shopping has gotten much better. We're creatures of habit so our frequently purchased items are pulled first to buy again.

On certain things I do make a note if I do not want to allow substitutions.

I don't trust them for some fruits or certain types of meat.

I don't shop at WalMart so no comparison there.

My normal routine is to go to Costco once a week, Hy-Vee order about every 10-14 days, and a random once a month visit to Target.

I've never done pickup, but I've done delivery a fair amount. I had a knee injury 1.5 years ago, and it was a lifesaver. I still use it every now and again. I actually like grocery shopping, but sometimes I just can't seem to fit it in. I use Instacart for Wegman's most often. They do a pretty good job, I select what replacements I want if they're out of an item. If I haven't selected a replacement they text me. Prices are often more expensive, and there's a delivery charge and a service charge (the service charge used to be optional on Instacart but now it's not, this is in addition to the driver's tip.) Just be mindful of various charges before you start ordering. I've used Peapod for Safeway a few times and it kind of sucked, icky produce and random replacements (sorry, diet soda for regular makes no sense to me). Even though I have Prime I haven't used it for WF delivery, the selection online isn't as good as in-store. There are no major grocery stores around here that doesn't do delivery, except H-Mart and of course Trader Joe's. If Trader Joe's offered delivery that would be a game changer for me!

You mentioned you shop at Costco a lot. You should see if your Costco delivers, ours does. (Instacart.)

I highly recommend Target's drive-up service for household goods. I'm a walking meme when it comes to Target, I go to buy detergent and end up with a cartful. Their drive-up service rocks and definitely saves me money. They are really quick and put the stuff right in my trunk.

OP, I think you should give it a try one week when you're busy. It really comes in handy.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We don't have delivery services way out here, but we do have curbside pick up. It is so busy now, you have to book 4 days in advance. The charge is $3.00. I use it for returning from vacation. When we go see my mom for a week, I schedule the pickup for the way home from the airport and have groceries ready.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    I use it for returning from vacation. When we go see my mom for a week, I schedule the pickup for the way home from the airport and have groceries ready.
    That's smart.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Quote Originally Posted by trales View Post
    We don't have delivery services way out here, but we do have curbside pick up. It is so busy now, you have to book 4 days in advance. The charge is $3.00. I use it for returning from vacation. When we go see my mom for a week, I schedule the pickup for the way home from the airport and have groceries ready.
    ^ I put a Walmart grocery pickup order in on our way to Florida and we stopped and picked up groceries for the week after checking into our condo and on our way home from dinner. Sooooo easy.

We do walmart grocery pick up weekly at least. It's amazing! There is a walmart that has it on our way to my son's preschool so I usually schedule pick ups for after I drop him off. I have also scheduled them for DH to pick up on his way home from work.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AngB View Post
    ^ I put a Walmart grocery pickup order in on our way to Florida and we stopped and picked up groceries for the week after checking into our condo and on our way home from dinner. Sooooo easy.

We do walmart grocery pick up weekly at least. It's amazing! There is a walmart that has it on our way to my son's preschool so I usually schedule pick ups for after I drop him off. I have also scheduled them for DH to pick up on his way home from work.
    I once scheduled a Walmart pickup in Utah for after we picked up an RV rental for a Yellowstone vacation. It was so much easier and faster than navigating an unfamiliar grocery store after a long day flying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    I once scheduled a Walmart pickup in Utah for after we picked up an RV rental for a Yellowstone vacation. It was so much easier and faster than navigating an unfamiliar grocery store after a long day flying.
    Yes! Plus it's such a drag to go grocery shopping on "vacation" time. To me, cooking is bad enough (although with 4 young kids eating out isn't really a picnic either so cooking wins.)
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast