AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Is this tacky? Holiday Card related....

Last year I chose a card that I was easily able to add captions to for the photos I chose (there was one main photo on the front and a few more on the back). The card I like for this year doesn’t have that option, just a paragraph in the back and I could list them there, but we did a lot of traveling this year....Dh and I went to the Baltics on a cruise with my dad’s family (my paternal Grandma turned 90 and she took us on the trip) and my kids spent 3 weeks in Wyoming with my in laws. This is not normal for us. I have never done a “brag sheet” so I don’t want to sound like I am bragging, but if I add captions am I really bragging?

FWIW: most people who get cards from us follow me on Instagram or Facebook so they knew we went on the trip.

FWIW2: we also aren’t having a family photo done this year as I want to wait until we move next year and I don’t have a single photo of my kids or the 4 of us that I really want to use. I could wait until Thanksgiving, I guess but I like to have this taken care of by Thanksgiving so I don’t have to worry about it December esp. with Thanksgiving being so late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-12-2019 at 01:34 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We went with the one with space for a paragraph on the back and I have no reason to feel it was tacky. If I care enough about you to have you on my list, I think the feeling is probably mutual and you are at least somewhat interested in what we have been up to. Now, most of my card recipients aren't on social media with me though so there isn't a lot of cross over on who has seen what. I still wouldn't say it was bragging if you share your favorite pictures and memories of the year, even if they might have seen them already! You're overthinking this.

No, not tacky.

We started using family vacation pics instead of getting professional family photos taken for cards. We love to travel and we aren’t formal pic people. I don’t think it’s bragging or tacky to use vacation photos from exotic places. I don’t mind 2 page long letters about what everyone has done. You never know what is going on behind the scenes of someone’s “perfect life.” We all have challenges and we all have blessings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I like the letters and the paragraphs! Go for it! I am so in love with the idea from the poster here who does really nice vacation shots with her family every year. Such a cool idea!

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I hope it’s not tacky because I’ve been doing it for years. I’ve never been a fan of the Christmas letter (I never know what to say about the kids, don’t want it to sound boring or bragging, etc.) so I pick 2 or 3 family photos from our family trips and use those in our Xmas cards. About 2/3 of our cards go to distant friends and family so I include captions too giving the date, place, name and age of kids. That’s it and I skip the letter. I’m not in social media so this is sometimes all they get to see of us all year. I usually get calls from aunts and cousins or reply cards saying it’s nice to see the kids growing and what they are doing. I usually try to include a photo in the back of the kids goofing off or doing something funny. But yeah, I put captions on all my photos.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think what you're proposing isn't tacky. What I love about holiday cards is seeing photos of my friends/family and hearing more about what's happened in their lives. A long list of "braggy" accomplishments can be obnoxious if it's sent by strangers, but I know my friends/family aren't trying to show off. I think it is more along the lines of, "This is what we've been blessed to experience this year." I also appreciate goofy smiles and comments that are more funny than impressive (e.g., quotes from the kids, stories, etc.). For example, our paragraph for this year's holiday card is just a bullet point for each family member. The point for my 13 year old DD1 (which she suggested) is "[DD1] did not break any limbs or seriously injure herself this year." She's broken an ankle, fractured a toe, sprained her knee, etc. over the past few years so she thought that was funny! The other points were a little more "braggy" (e.g., DD2 earned her purple belt and started learning a third martial art).

I would much rather have captions with information than just a picture - especially for the people who are "christmas card friends" and that's the only real way we keep in touch.

MMMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don’t think what you are proposing is tacky. I love seeing fun pictures of trips. What I do find a tad tacky is the two page long newsletter that a former neighbor sends yearly—listing every academic and athletic award, every good grade/GPA/honor roll (“straight A’s” is used to describe each child), every activity (clubs, sports, student government, etc) of all three children; every career achievement of each parent; and every trip taken during the past year. Humble is not a word I would use to describe the card and letter. Of course I am happy for any friend’s success and celebration. But a two page, detailed letter seems a bit much.
    Mommy to Two DDs
    Member of the BBB I Love Brussels Sprouts Society

(Why? Because the banana smilie is just so funny)