Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default resume after long gap

I'm applying for a VOLUNTEER position that requires a resume, cover letter, two recommendations, and an interview! It's more aligned with my training, so I hope I get it lol It's not even a specific position, though I will specify my interests in the cover letter.

The last time I redid my resume for a job search, I did a functional resume with my work history at the end, but I read an article that says don't do that. Has anyone dealt with this issue? It's a volunteer position, so there's no real pressure here, but since I'm doing it I'd like to do it correctly. It's been 20 years since I worked FT- yikes- but I did some PT from home and loads of volunteer stuff. Do I include the jobs from 20 years ago? Do I not even list them?

If you have any good links or examples, I'd appreciate it. I guess this forces me to redo my resume, which is a good thing, but I know it would take nothing short of a miracle to get a job offer at this point, unless something comes from this. I'm okay with that, as long as I get to do something meaningful.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I'm applying for a VOLUNTEER position that requires a resume, cover letter, two recommendations, and an interview! It's more aligned with my training, so I hope I get it lol It's not even a specific position, though I will specify my interests in the cover letter.

The last time I redid my resume for a job search, I did a functional resume with my work history at the end, but I read an article that says don't do that. Has anyone dealt with this issue? It's a volunteer position, so there's no real pressure here, but since I'm doing it I'd like to do it correctly. It's been 20 years since I worked FT- yikes- but I did some PT from home and loads of volunteer stuff. Do I include the jobs from 20 years ago? Do I not even list them?

If you have any good links or examples, I'd appreciate it. I guess this forces me to redo my resume, which is a good thing, but I know it would take nothing short of a miracle to get a job offer at this point, unless something comes from this. I'm okay with that, as long as I get to do something meaningful.
    It’s been nearly 20 years since I did HR so I’m in the same boat as you. However, one of my HR gigs was working as a staff member in a temporary agency that also did professional recruiting. Very often we had stay at home moms who wanted back in the workforce so we would help them update their resumes. We usually counseled them to fill in their resume gaps with what they were doing at the time. While describing what they were doing, we would emphasize the skills they honed. There are real skills that are learned being a busy, stay at home mom that can be put to good use in the workforce. If you know what the job you want requires, find examples in the last 20 years of when you did substantially similar work. For example, if the job opening is for an Executive Assistant you could say that as a SAHM and volunteer you coordinated the daily calendars for 5 people in your family for 16 hours per day, 7 days per week. You managed volunteers for multiple projects at any given time such as school and team fundraisers, sports banquets, school play productions, etc. You maintained a database of over 200 contacts for family correspondence. You oversaw all incoming receivables and outgoing payables for your family of five. And so on.

I would include your time working in a professional job because it’s important that employers know you have some professional work experience, not just as a SAHM.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you. I hope you get the job!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks For your perspective! Yes, I will definitely have to include the volunteer duties. Good point that I would want them to know I was working FT before, even if it’s been a long time.