mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Amazon reviews don't match product?

Looking at ultrasonic mice products, when I read the reviews they are all about a series of books, this is for a highly rated product, with over 1000 reviews, it is of course the one I am interested in buying. I'm on my phone, maybe on my computer it'll be different, never seen this before.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I’ve seen this happen a handful of times, maybe an IT issue?? One time it happened with a few similar but different items, on the same day. I think I just picked another item... didn’t want to risk it or wait it out.

i have also clicked a link on the item pages to report it, but have never checked on the items again.

MaiseyDog is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's not uncommon - generally it's for products being sold from out of the country. The seller finds an abandoned listing with lots of positive reviews and then changes the picture and description, then at first glance it looks like their product has good reviews. Lots of folks don't read the reviews and only go for the product with the most positive stars.
    Margaret

DD1- 2/14/05
    DD2- 9/24/07

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MaiseyDog View Post
    It's not uncommon - generally it's for products being sold from out of the country. The seller finds an abandoned listing with lots of positive reviews and then changes the picture and description, then at first glance it looks like their product has good reviews. Lots of folks don't read the reviews and only go for the product with the most positive stars.
    I agree with MaiseyDog, it is likely ratings manipulation. It runs rampant on Amazon now. For odd items like that, reviews are unlikely to mean much unfortunately.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

BTW, I just bought 2 home sentinel plug in mice repellers from Amazon, I didn't have the review issue you did, and the reviews I read were mainly positive. I bought it on the strength of a next-door conversation with neighbors who really think they work. I am a little skeptical, but we live in the woods in a 100 year old house so we are always battling mice.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I noticed this just the other day when buying an iphone dongle. Seems like they are all made and sold from China (no surprise) but the reviews had nothing whatsoever to do with the products. Frustrating as I didn't want to buy junk and care about what the reviews say.
    K

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    I noticed this just the other day when buying an iphone dongle. Seems like they are all made and sold from China (no surprise) but the reviews had nothing whatsoever to do with the products. Frustrating as I didn't want to buy junk and care about what the reviews say.
    I chatted with them to complain about this exact item! Clearly they took no action. I ended up going to Walmart and bought it there.
    DS 2/09

I asked a friend whose husband works at Orkin, he said buy a bunch of the glue traps, lots of them, it's gross but cheap and effective.

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    BTW, I just bought 2 home sentinel plug in mice repellers from Amazon, I didn't have the review issue you did, and the reviews I read were mainly positive. I bought it on the strength of a next-door conversation with neighbors who really think they work. I am a little skeptical, but we live in the woods in a 100 year old house so we are always battling mice.
    We had ZERO luck with the plug-in repellers. I tried them all when we first moved in. If these work, please let me know. We also live in a very old house in the woods !

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    We had ZERO luck with the plug-in repellers. I tried them all when we first moved in. If these work, please let me know. We also live in a very old house in the woods !
    After reading a lot about this, on reddit and talking with others, I think it's a combination of using traps, poison, and changing the environment.