Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Recommend the best ARTICLES you’ve read this year?

My book club doesn’t want to read anything in December and I sort of get where they’re coming from. But they do want to get together! I suggested we all read an article. Just so we have something pithy to discuss. My friends like this idea. Now I know I’ve read lots of amazing articles this year but of course right now I can’t think of any? I’m going through my emails and texts because I’ve sent a lot on throughout the year.

But I thought I’d ask—what thought provoking articles have you read this year? It can be about anything except politics (I love political articles but this was the request!) The choice can be funny. It doesn’t have to be terribly elevated. But it can be. It can be about science, literature, parenting... The more open-ended probably the better?

Have you got any to suggest?

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    My book club doesn’t want to read anything in December and I sort of get where they’re coming from. But they do want to get together! I suggested we all read an article. Just so we have something pithy to discuss. My friends like this idea. Now I know I’ve read lots of amazing articles this year but of course right now I can’t think of any? I’m going through my emails and texts because I’ve sent a lot on throughout the year.

But I thought I’d ask—what thought provoking articles have you read this year? It can be about anything except politics (I love political articles but this was the request!) The choice can be funny. It doesn’t have to be terribly elevated. But it can be. It can be about science, literature, parenting... The more open-ended probably the better?

Have you got any to suggest?
    This is a few years old, but this article was amazing to me! Topical with all the DNA testing gifts that will likely be given for Christmas. I have a few friends who have super interesting stories to tell re: their DNA testing adventures.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...r-old-mystery/

I also found a textbook photo they mention in the article, but do not show. I won't spoil it. But, it is available if you look on Amazon with their "Look Inside" feature. Fascinating and really makes you wonder......

Thank you for the response! I’ll check it out!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    This is a few years old, but this article was amazing to me! Topical with all the DNA testing gifts that will likely be given for Christmas. I have a few friends who have super interesting stories to tell re: their DNA testing adventures.

I also found a textbook photo they mention in the article, but do not show. I won't spoil it. But, it is available if you look on Amazon with their "Look Inside" feature. Fascinating and really makes you wonder......
    I love this article! I read it awhile back and loved reading it again. It's so interesting to me!

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree, this was a very interesting article, thank you for sharing!
    Quote Originally Posted by MSWR0319 View Post
    I love this article! I read it awhile back and loved reading it again. It's so interesting to me!
    Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post

DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

I actually think this article is kind of perfect for my group. We’re all moms from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (though it’s not religious at all) and we have a huge interest in family history so it comes naturally. And it is super well written and interesting! Loved it. Would love to see the referenced photo but couldn’t find it the same way!

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I actually think this article is kind of perfect for my group. We’re all moms from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (though it’s not religious at all) and we have a huge interest in family history so it comes naturally. And it is super well written and interesting! Loved it. Would love to see the referenced photo but couldn’t find it the same way!
    Do the Look Inside feature, then you can search. I searched for "Manhattan" and found it on age 193. It does take your breath away!

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I've had this one open in my browser for months because it really resonated: A woman's greatest enemy? A lack of time to herself

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...LVnL7UZq-LvwuY
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Neatfreak View Post
    I've had this one open in my browser for months because it really resonated: A woman's greatest enemy? A lack of time to herself

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...LVnL7UZq-LvwuY
    Sounds like it would work well for a book group filled with tired moms! Thanks for posting. Off to read it...

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast