Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Really starting to get angry and bitter

I know i’ve complained a lot about DS’s teachers this year, so sorry for another rant. But I am so fed up!

DS was out sick today. I asked his teacher to send his HW home. I received a packet of all of the work they’d done at school all day, with instructions for him to do it all and turn it in tomorrow. 15 work sheets, half of which have no instructions or explanations at all.

Plus a packet of work he hadn’t finished in class yesterday, to be turned in tomorrow as well (this was underlined on the instructions). Five more pages.

I have never, ever said this about a professional before, but I think I hate these teachers.
    DC1 -- 2005 DD -- 2009 DS -- 2011

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m not sure what grade he’s in but IF he’s up for it I would go with 10 minutes per grade level and send in whatever he gets done. It’s elementary - it really doesn’t matter and I sure wouldn’t stress your son about completing it.

That would be a normal, rational solution. :-)

But if I do that, I know from unhappy experience that there will be emails and complaints and yet more work coming home to be finished/fixed/redone tomorrow. 1/4 of the way thru the year and not a day has gone by without some complaint coming home from at least one of the two teachers. And when I ask them to ease up I get yessed to death to my face, only to have it all start again the very next day.

So we’re 2 hours and 20 minutes in, and halfway done. Bless DS, he’s hanging in there.

(3rd grade, ftr)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

That's horrible!

I know this is bitching post, but honestly... If he's too sick to go to school, I would hope the teacher thinks that he's too sick to do the work! isn't that why you kept him home?

I think if I was in your place, I would send a note in that you will work on it over the weekend. (maybe even keep him home the extra day if you can!)

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

The teacher is insane! I wouldn't have even thought to ask to have the homework sent home, tbh -- and I bet most parents don't! The fact she sent it, along with all the classwork, plus yesterday's work -- to a sick kid? Plus the fact that 15 worksheets isn't really how I think a third grader should be spending their day.....ugh. So sorry your son is stuck with such terrible teachers this year. : (
    Lizi

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ugh... I am like you and always ask for the work. Your child is a trooper!

I would send it in at whatever status you feel comfortable with, but I would also assume that the kids did NOT get all of that done in one day! The teacher should have prioritized the one or two things that needed to get done and sent those home. I would guess he will be ahead when he turns it in tomorrow.

You should not be getting daily issues coming home for a typical child. If that is happening, call a meeting. If he is on an IEP/504, definitely call a team meeting. Something is not right for him to be struggling that much at the third grade level.

Actually print out all the e-mails, document everything that you can and bring it to the meeting. Include the principal. Something doesn't add up with this scenario.

It sounds like a "teacher fit" issue (okay, it sounds like a teacher issue, but a "teacher fit" would be a more appropriate term to use).

Hope he feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    Ugh... I am like you and always ask for the work. Your child is a trooper!

I would send it in at whatever status you feel comfortable with, but I would also assume that the kids did NOT get all of that done in one day! The teacher should have prioritized the one or two things that needed to get done and sent those home. I would guess he will be ahead when he turns it in tomorrow.

You should not be getting daily issues coming home for a typical child. If that is happening, call a meeting. If he is on an IEP/504, definitely call a team meeting. Something is not right for him to be struggling that much at the third grade level.

Actually print out all the e-mails, document everything that you can and bring it to the meeting. Include the principal. Something doesn't add up with this scenario.

It sounds like a "teacher fit" issue (okay, it sounds like a teacher issue, but a "teacher fit" would be a more appropriate term to use).

Hope he feels better soon.
    Whether he is typical or not remains an open question. :-) We had an intervention team meeting last week, and the school psychologist said that he scored in the 50th percentile (nationally normed) on the evaluations she gave him (handwriting, spelling and grammar). So even though he is (very far) behind for our school, he is within the range of typical for his age. But she does want us to see his pediatrician about a possible speech issue and what she termed his “overactivity.” We’re in that process.

The notes home have less to do with that and more to do with perfectionism. Every page comes home with a demand for correction of one thing or another — if he gets all of the answers right, it’s because he didn’t annotate his work adequately. Or he didn’t write enough sentences (which, to be fair, he sometimes gives totally inadequate answers). Most recently, they’re gearing up for a multiplication ice cream party, where the kids earn ice cream based on how well they’ve done on speed tests this past month. So far, all DS will have is an empty bowl, since he has “failed” every test but one ( and again here, the standard appears to be perfection or pretty darn close. He failed one test with 45 out of 50 questions correct).

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I hate this situation for you. I would totally pull him and homeschool. I know many people are disinclined to homeschool for various reasons, but it can be truly life changing for a child as far as providing a much better learning environment. Typical or not, this setting sounds absolutely miserable and I wouldn’t continue in this setting for anything.
    K

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am a teacher. I am hating your son's teachers, too. That is absolutely ridiculous. The situations you have described here and earlier border on child abuse. You need to get your son out of that situation.

Forget those worksheets. Your son needs to focus on getting well.

Have you been to a school board meeting? Some issues need to be escalated to the top, and I think you are there now.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Really starting to get angry and bitter

DS is in high school, if they’re out 1 day, then get 1 dat to catch up. Out 2days, they get 2 days to catch up.

I’d email cc assistant principal that the 20 pages of work sent home on Thursday will not be completed by Friday, but will be completed by Monday.

Any biotching, I’d keep looping in someone in administration, it’s their job to deal with the teachers

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by niccig; 11-15-2019 at 03:23 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast