Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    That would be a normal, rational solution. :-)

But if I do that, I know from unhappy experience that there will be emails and complaints and yet more work coming home to be finished/fixed/redone tomorrow. 1/4 of the way thru the year and not a day has gone by without some complaint coming home from at least one of the two teachers. And when I ask them to ease up I get yessed to death to my face, only to have it all start again the very next day.

So we’re 2 hours and 20 minutes in, and halfway done. Bless DS, he’s hanging in there.

(3rd grade, ftr)
    Sorry! I didn’t realize this was in BP!

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    Whether he is typical or not remains an open question. :-) We had an intervention team meeting last week, and the school psychologist said that he scored in the 50th percentile (nationally normed) on the evaluations she gave him (handwriting, spelling and grammar). So even though he is (very far) behind for our school, he is within the range of typical for his age. But she does want us to see his pediatrician about a possible speech issue and what she termed his “overactivity.” We’re in that process.

The notes home have less to do with that and more to do with perfectionism. Every page comes home with a demand for correction of one thing or another — if he gets all of the answers right, it’s because he didn’t annotate his work adequately. Or he didn’t write enough sentences (which, to be fair, he sometimes gives totally inadequate answers). Most recently, they’re gearing up for a multiplication ice cream party, where the kids earn ice cream based on how well they’ve done on speed tests this past month. So far, all DS will have is an empty bowl, since he has “failed” every test but one ( and again here, the standard appears to be perfection or pretty darn close. He failed one test with 45 out of 50 questions correct).
    Poor kid. I'm sure his self-esteem is dropping with every passing day. At this point I would probably remove him for homeschool or try to find a homeschool coop. The situation he is in is doing him more harm than good right now.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

That sounds painful AND unrealistic. I like to get work home when the kids are sick too if they arent TOO sick but that is absurd. ESP with no instructions.

I agree its time to escalate .... to the top if necessary.

This is the same teacher who emails about bathroom trips correct? I think about him every time I have to go to the bathroom during the day. makes ME anxious never mind if I were 8 and worrying about what was going to get sent home next!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Do you have any other school options near you?

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    Do you have any other school options near you?
    I’m wondering this too OP. I’m so sorry for both of you. It’s NOT you guys. It’s the school and that stinks. 😡

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2