Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default elementary "early release" days....

We are in a new school district this year. School has it's first early release day tomorrow. I looked up the pick up time... and it's 11:20. The kids are going to be in class for exactly three hours. This is an extremely rural school - we have to drive our child a bit over thirty minutes to get to school. (And we are not the farthest by a long shot.) So, tomorrow, I have to drive thirty minutes - each way - twice. So... I get to drive for two hours so he can be in class for three. And this is their "normal. It sucks.

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Uuugh, that is miserable. The inconvenience of early release days is rough no matter what, but with a 30+ minute drive that's waaay worse!
    Lizi

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Is there anything you can do near the school? Errands, walk, coffee shop, library...

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Is there anything you can do near the school? Errands, walk, coffee shop, library...

That’s what I would do. In fact, I did that when DS1 attended a private school 30 mins away from me for his PreK and kindergarten, on early release days I just stayed close to do stuff. Then pick him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    That’s what I would do. In fact, I did that when DS1 attended a private school 30 mins away from me for his PreK and kindergarten, on early release days I just stayed close to do stuff. Then pick him up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Yep, I never went home on preschool days. I trained for half marathons so those runs took up a lot of the time. I could always find stuff to do even without the runs though. OP- can you meet up with other parents that might be in your same boat to kill time?

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can you carpool and just drive one round? If not, I would either keep him home for the day or stay there if you feel he must go.
    K

anonomom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ugh, that would bug me, too. Our school district abandoned early release days this year, instead just having fewer, but whole, teacher workdays.

I never liked early release days, and my kids are walkers! If I were in your shoes I'd really​ hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by anonomom View Post
    Ugh, that would bug me, too. Our school district abandoned early release days this year, instead just having fewer, but whole, teacher workdays.
    Are we in the same district?
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Um, that's ridiculous. I never realized how common early release days were. We're lucky to have three half days per year (first, last and one in October). And I grip enough about those.

I'd be really tempted to just not attend at all. For that much driving you could do a fun day trip somewhere and get way more out of it than school.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP here. For future short days, I will see if there's stuff I can do in town, but there's so many of them... including three in a row thanksgiving week. (M-Tu-W). I can only hang out so long! I've already told DH he's going to have to do a couple of those drop off/pick up trips so I can keep what sanity I have left. We're new in town, so I really don't know anyone to car pool with, though that is an option down the line.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast