Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

We have 11 each year. 9 for "First Friday" which is the first Friday of every month the children go to school, go to church, and then come home. There's 2 more for report card conference days.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I love half days. So long as I know them ahead of time to adjust my schedule, bring them on. Especially because most of ours are on Fridays and we use them for weekend road trips. The kids are dismissed at 11:20. The challenge is in the winter if there is a 2 hour weather delay on a half day. Kids are in school for an hour. But, hey, it counts as a school day so nothing to make up unlike a snow day and they get fed lunch (one less thing I need to do).

KrisM is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

Our elementary has 13 this year. They used to have zero and my oldest (10th grade) never had one. I'm glad to be done with them all in middle or high school now.

When they first started, they were Friday or Monday and we had maybe 5 in the year. That was okay. But 13 last year too and it's just too many. They are mostly on Friday now, which is awful if your class has a special on Friday. DD hated when she didn't have art class for a month because there was always a half day and her class was in the afternoon. Our elementary never has 3 full weeks of school in a row. It seems crazy to me.
    Kris

We only have 2 this year. But my b!tch is that they sent us a school calendar that said next Wednesday is a half day, so I planned a long appointment for my son that afternoon when he wouldn't have to miss school. Then apparently they revised the calendar last month and now the first half day is in March!! Don't get me wrong, I love that we don't have a lot of half days that I have to figure out child care or rearrange my schedule for, but could you not at least send a notification when you make a big change like that to the calendar?? I only found out because I asked his teacher what time they get out that day (parent teacher conferences are later in the afternoon).
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

ZERO early release and 1/2 days is one of the things I love about this district. The neighboring town ( 10 miles away) we rented in when we first moved here had bi-weekly early release but it varied from 2 hrs 2 1/2 hr or 3 hrs and random other early release days.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have "one hour late starts", about 2 x month on Wednesdays, so elementary goes in at 8:30, high school at 9:30, and Jr. High 9:45. I'm not sure how much 5he teachers accomplish in that time but my kids love the late start days. My kids are old enough to be left alone when I go to work and I'm sure there are some parents of elementary students who have issues but it doesn't seem to be too bad.

We still have a few day long "institute days" off throughout the year.

Out district flip flopped start times a few years ago and most like the new times of 7:30 for elementary, 8:30 for high school and 8:45 for jr. High.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    We have "one hour late starts", about 2 x month on Wednesdays, so elementary goes in at 8:30, high school at 9:30, and Jr. High 9:45. I'm not sure how much 5he teachers accomplish in that time but my kids love the late start days. My kids are old enough to be left alone when I go to work and I'm sure there are some parents of elementary students who have issues but it doesn't seem to be too bad.

We still have a few day long "institute days" off throughout the year.

Out district flip flopped start times a few years ago and most like the new times of 7:30 for elementary, 8:30 for high school and 8:45 for jr. High.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I teach in this district and we have to arrive early so we have 1.5 hours to work. The only minor issue is the kids seem to be very worked up on these days. It throws the schedule off.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3