Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sometimes I found volunteer tasks at school too. I especially liked going in to help with the library because there was no time commitment- give as much or little time as you want. Teachers might happily put you to work copying, sorting, cleaning...too!

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Where we are in NJ, November is a waste! Election Day is either full day off (if Presidential) or 1/2 days (non presidential). Then 2 days off that same week for teachers convention (aka Jersey week in Disney!). Last week we had 3 1/2 days for teacher conferences; next week we have 1/2 day on Wed (12:40 dismisses on the 1/2 days) and of course off for Thurs and Friday!

Ugh us too! DS2 has a half day this Friday, one next Tuesday and one next Wednesday... and then there’s 3 MORE in April!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Liz
    Proud mama to DS1: 2007
    and DS2:2010

Life is too short to wear boring socks.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

OP here - Yep, we have eleven half days this year. Miserable.

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We used to have early release days but thankfully they changed to whole teacher work days. The only time I was late to pick my kids up was an early release day. I had music on and was cleaning the house and didn't hear the phone when the school called. My emergency contact was on the way there when I realized what time it was and got to the school asap. Thank goodness those days are behind me!

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    OP here - Yep, we have eleven half days this year. Miserable.
    You inspired me to count ours and we have 13. And yes it feels like a TON. Last year when DD was at the district instead of at our charter school she had like 3 days instead of 13 and it felt very different. Unlike you I'm much closer to the school so I don't have it quite so hard. I have to say, I really value my time at home. I'd probably be tempted to drive home and enjoy those 2 hours even with the icky drive. I'm still sorry you've got to do it! I really feel for working class families with two working parents. I don't know how they swing it. I know it is a hardship for some of the families that I know at the school my kids attend.

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    Where we are in NJ, November is a waste! Election Day is either full day off (if Presidential) or 1/2 days (non presidential). Then 2 days off that same week for teachers convention (aka Jersey week in Disney!). Last week we had 3 1/2 days for teacher conferences; next week we have 1/2 day on Wed (12:40 dismisses on the 1/2 days) and of course off for Thurs and Friday!
    That would drive me crazy, and I’m in NJ! Luckily my district combine service days with teachers conference days in 2-3 full days and only one half day for that Jersey week. Giving us another 2 full weeks before 2 days off thanksgiving week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I will be honest....all of those 1/2 days would suck!! Our district does not do 1/2 days ever (except for the hs kids when they are taking finals- they may not have to be there all day) and I am so happy that they don't!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

So I have always been annoyed with our half days too (though thankfully my kids are bused and go to school 5 minutes away). I have never counted how many we had until this thread. I think we have 11 too. Most are before long weekends but man that is a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're lucky that our early release days (every Thursday) are at 1pm. 11:20am seems ridiculously early! DS2's school is only 8 miles away, but it's about 50 minutes round trip in the morning due to traffic. On days I volunteer, I often make the round trip drive 3 times during the school day (I go home even if it's just for an hour)! Even though I'm a SAHM, I spend a lot of time in the car every day between school pick up and drop offs, volunteering, and extracurriculars. We've been at our charter school for 9 years now so I guess I'm just used to it.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast