mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Autoimmune Diet: Amy Meyers or something else?

My autoimmune stuff is getting worse. I was looking at pics of myself today and I look terrible.....sick, bloated, unwell. This is despite the fact that I have lost 20lbs of weight. I saw the Amy Meyers program and I was wondering if anyone has tried it? Or any other program that helps? Basically, I need something cut and dry because this stuff is really getting to me now.
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

I am with you. I did the AIP diet about 6 years ago, and followed it for about 18 months. I need to do it again, seriously.
    I got this book and started it, cold turkey. Stopped everything. I'm back to being as bad as I was then, and have to do something about it, soon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Paleo-Approac.../dp/1936608391

I followed it 100%, except I did have an occasional glass of wine after the first month. I will say, the first two weeks are hell. So hard.
    I really, really need to do it, let me know if you (or anyone else) want to start, and I'll do it with you! There are many recipes, and shortcuts to success with this way of eating. I just have to remind myself that I can do it.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

My caution is to really watch out that your AIP diet doesn't go too low-carb, becausee that is what caused my adrenals to crash, which has been the biggest, longest struggle of my health journey to date. I did have tendencies toward adrenal fatigue before but had no idea how rough it would get. My advice is slow and steady: cut out sugar first, then cut out dairy, then cut way back on grains, looking for alternative recieps as you go.

Sounds a lot like toxic iron build up in your tissues and magnesium deficiency. Eliminate synthetic iron, balance your minerals and support your adrenals.

You need iron and copper and magensium to be in balance.

Diet is ancestral - not so much paleo but old ancient (i.e. non processed crap) grains, grassfed beef liver (only meat needed 4-6oz a week or can buy dessicated), steam distilled cod liver oil (not synthetic/chemical process) - Nordic Artic (not D) or Rositas, adrenal cocktails (Vit C whole, potassium, sodium) and of course whole foods. No synthetic supplements - including "enriched" foods. Magnesium oil, epsom salts, trace minerals.

Begin with stops (synthetics, processed foods (if any), etc) then begin to add in the new slowly so as to not overwhelm and crash your system.

This is what I have been doing. I've seen some reversal in my situation. I do enjoy a glass of wine now but was just easier during transition to not.

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I just got diagnosed with MS and have started the Wahl's Protocol. Since MS is autoimmune, Dr Wahl recommends the diet for any autoimmune condition. I don't follow it 100% yet. I've also started seeing a functional medicine doctor and getting some other testing done, like for the MTHFR gene and food sensitivity testing.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Thank you all so much, it’s so good to know that I’m not completely crazy for considering this. I’m doing everything the doctors recommend but it’s not enough and I can see and feel myself deteriorating, so I’m really looking to try something. I think I’m starting the diet Sunday. Solsister, join me if you want and we can be a support group
    Melanie, thank you for the warning. I’m not a big meat eater so between the veggies and the fruit I don’t think I will be too low carb
    Mary, I’d love some more info on the minerals. I don’t think I’m in iron overload, never supplemented, and never really even had a really Hugh hemoglobin or anything. My blood pH is showing acidic though and that’s concerning I guess? I have no idea what that means
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

So I started the diet yesterday.....hasn’t been terrible, so far so good....