Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Anyone given up on having a laptop?

I'm looking at replacing my 6 year old Macbook. Was originally looking at a new Macbook, but went to the Apple store and the iMacs really caught my eye. I've been doing more photography now that I got a new camera, and I can get more speed in an iMac than a Macbook for a little less in price. Plus the screen is a lot nicer than my current external monitor set up (which I could give to DH).

I started thinking about it and I hardly ever take my current laptop off the desk anymore. I usually use it attached to an external monitor, which is much better for my photo editing. I normally just use my phone for sitting around the house surfing the web.

But I haven't bought a desktop since I had one of the tangerine CRT iMacs in 1999! Since then I've had 4 different Macbooks, so I've never been without a laptop.

Will I miss it? I could buy a base level iPad on black Friday with the $$ saved from buying an Imac instead of a Macbook to travel with.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I much prefer my desktop computer

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ged is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

If I had space for one, I'd go with the iMac. Then have a good working tablet or inexpensive laptop/chromebook for times you need to move around. Besides, a desktop is typically more ergonomic, so a tiny bonus point there.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I much prefer my desktop computer

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I do too. I find that almost anything I want to do sitting on my bed I can generally do with my iPhone. But for photos and really almost everything else I love having a proper keyboard, mouse and huge, gorgeous monitor and I tend to prioritize that over the mobility of a laptop.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I do too. I find that almost anything I want to do sitting on my bed I can generally do with my iPhone. But for photos and really almost everything else I love having a proper keyboard, mouse and huge, gorgeous monitor and I tend to prioritize that over the mobility of a laptop.
    Another vote for a desktop computer (PC, in my case) and iPhone + iPad for times when I’m not at my desk. Most of my family members prefer a laptop, but the desktop works for me.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

If it were just for home use in your situation, I'd do a desktop + an ipad. I really need a laptop for work, and I love that it is easy to take home since I work from home some too, and I just use it for everything (that I need a computer for -- I also use an ipad a good bit). But if I didn't use it for work, I wouldn't need to take it around with me enough for that to be the deciding factor.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

A friend of mine is a professional photographer and she prefers her MacBook Pro. She just replaced hers with newer version, the bigger size. She needs the mobility it gives her because she travels around the country and abroad for her work, so a desktop would be no good to her.

For you, it sounds like that’s not the case. I love my iMac we replaced nearly 2 years ago and not even a photographer! I also like having a large functional deskttop with good monitor since I’ve poor vision. So I’m all about using ways to help me preserve my eye health. Also between hubby & my work schedules, there’s always one of us working from home daily. We need the space to have a dedicated home office, and that’s why having a large iMac works for us. I’m not so sure in wanting a desktop if I lived in a home where space is premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In your case I would do the desktop and the iPad. I have no space for a desktop, so I am hooked on my macbook air.

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Go for the iMac and you can always use your laptop until it truly dies. I prefer desktop; though have my laptop hooked up to external monitor, keyboard and mouse! I only use it as a true laptop on the weekends

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

A laptop can always be converted to a desktop or a tablet but not the other way around. I have a surface book. At the office, I hook to monitor and mouse and use as a desktop. At home, I unhook they screen and use as a tablet to watch movies. And when I’m at kids sports practice etc, I use it as a real laptop
    no way I could do that with a desktop
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast