Default Dumb Question Re: Sweet Potato Casserole

I've never made it. You know, the one with the marshmallows on top? I need to make it, but I don't want to use the canned yams, would like to use fresh sweet potatoes. Anyone have a good recipe? I was looking online, but not hitting anything that looked great. TIA!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Here is my standard Recipe. I either leave the nuts out or use pecans. Another way is to roast the sweet potatoes first then put through potato ricer, this is what the Cookes Illustrated people recommend to get the most of the flavor. I find the difference negligible and second way is a lot more work. I cut up the sweet potatoes and make the butter and put in a big ziplock the day before. Then I can just pour it in a dish the day of and cook.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...rshmallows-813
    Last edited by dogmom; 11-17-2019 at 11:28 AM.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It is the easiest! Buy fresh sweet potatoes from the store. Scrub potatoes. Place into a large stockpot and boil 25-30 min until the are fork tender. Drain. Let cool. Gently peel the skins off the potatoes and mash. Spread into a 13x9 or a couple of casserole dishes. I cook mine in advance and then Thanksgiving morning, spread into the 13x9 casseroles, heat through in the oven, and add the marshmallows in the last 10 or so minutes. Watch carefully as they melt/puff/turn golden brown. Pull dishes out of the oven before marshmallow is too brown/burned. You can even broil if you are in a hurry, but must watch very closely so they don’t burn.

I leave out the butter (it doesn’t need it, although you can add) and opt for marshmallows instead of a brown sugar pecan topping due to one DC with an allergy. That version is delicious also.
    K

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    It is the easiest! Buy fresh sweet potatoes from the store. Scrub potatoes. Place into a large stockpot and boil 25-30 min until the are fork tender. Drain. Let cool. Gently peel the skins off the potatoes and mash. Spread into a 13x9 or a couple of casserole dishes. I cook mine in advance and then Thanksgiving morning, spread into the 13x9 casseroles, heat through in the oven, and add the marshmallows in the last 10 or so minutes. Watch carefully as they melt/puff/turn golden brown. Pull dishes out of the oven before marshmallow is too brown/burned. You can even broil if you are in a hurry, but must watch very closely so they don’t burn.

I leave out the butter (it doesn’t need it, although you can add) and opt for marshmallows instead of a brown sugar pecan topping due to one DC with an allergy. That version is delicious also.
    My grandmother's recipe is similar to the epicurious one and my kids hated it. Too much sugar. So I changed it. I do something similar to KpbS' I wash/scrub, cut up into chunks, boil w/skin on and then peel. Makes sense to wait till it cools first

Then I add about 1/3 stick of butter (down from a whole stick in Grandma's recipe!!) and I add a semi-generous sprinkle of ginger, a tiny bit of nutmeg and mash. Then I bake @350 for 20min and then add marshmallows and bake till golden brown (about 15-20min)

Less sugar and still rich and over the top suitable for a holiday meal I tried one once w/canned yams and thought it was gross WAY to syrupy for me.

ETA: Rachael Ray had this vegan recipe on her show. This skips the marshmallows in favor of coconut oil & coconut sugar. My kids like the marshmallows and since they really only get them for Easter & Christmas, I'm ok with that but I thought I'd share.
    Last edited by doberbrat; 11-17-2019 at 12:37 PM.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm not a fan of all the marshmallows and tons of sugar recipes. My family had been doing this orange glazed sweet potato recipe for years. I even skip the brown sugar completely and don't even notice a difference.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ora...tm_term=154542

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I'm not a fan of all the marshmallows and tons of sugar recipes. My family had been doing this orange glazed sweet potato recipe for years. I even skip the brown sugar completely and don't even notice a difference.

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/ora...tm_term=154542

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this! I had what I thought was a huge dislike of sweet potatoes because I just couldn’t stomach sweet potato casserole. It wasn’t until I was making baby food for Dd2 and learned that a real sweet potato tasted fine plain and it didn’t need all of that crazy sugar from marshmallows that imho just made it look gross to a kid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I have several sweet potato/yam recipes that are really yummy and not full of sugar. I can’t stand the sweetness of the casserole. But I have never turned down a slice of sweet potato pie!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."