Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Blending is NOT developmentally appropriate for preschool! Do not let the teacher worry you. This is a kindergarten skill that is taught after all of the letter sounds are mastered.

He sounds perfectly normal and healthy. Let him play and I would think of switching preschools for a better, play-based program.
    Everybody else has given you good advice. I just wanted to emphasize that blending is not a preschool skill.

I also wanted to reassure you that just because he’s not as early a reader as some of his friends this doesn’t mean he can’t be a great reader. DS1 didn’t really “get” reading until he was early 1st grade but is a remarkable reader now (in 10th grade). I would stop drilling and just focus on loving to read books with you. That love of reading will carry him really far!

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I also wanted to reassure you that just because he’s not as early a reader as some of his friends this doesn’t mean he can’t be a great reader. DS1 didn’t really “get” reading until he was early 1st grade but is a remarkable reader now (in 10th grade). I would stop drilling and just focus on loving to read books with you. That love of reading will carry him really far!
    I could not agree more since my experience with my DD now in 6th grade is very similar. She started reading in 1st grade unlike many other kids that were reading before K. But she has always been a voracious reader ever since and reads at a high school level.
    All we did at home in those early years was ensure there were a ton of books around and read to her a lot. I remember that at 2.5 she could recite entire board books just from memory, the very hungry caterpillar was pat down!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

thank you folks, for the perspective. Its very hard to stay on course and not be influenced by peer ( parents) and teachers. I will set up a conference with his teachers to see how they handle this.

I dont want DS to lose his confidence by the constant badgering in every direction. For now, I am just going to let him be.. Thanks to you all for helping me get back on track

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    I wouldn’t push it at all. He’s not even 5 yet. Does he know his letter sounds? That’s really all I’d focus on now, not blends. Let him play and be a kid. He can learn blends next year in kindergarten. Only 1 out if my 3 kids was interested in reading before kindergarten.

ETA: there’s no point in forcing it. It’s like trying to teach a 9 mo old to walk. A very few can do it, but it’s pointless if they aren’t ready. Eventually he will be ready.
    I agree 100%! Don't stress about it--he needs to play, that's the best way he learns right now.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy13 View Post
    thank you folks, for the perspective. Its very hard to stay on course and not be influenced by peer ( parents) and teachers. I will set up a conference with his teachers to see how they handle this.

I dont want DS to lose his confidence by the constant badgering in every direction. For now, I am just going to let him be.. Thanks to you all for helping me get back on track
    Is he heading to kindergarten next year? I really dislike your preschool teachers for giving you the impression it’s something he needs to learn. It isn’t age appropriate at all!

When ds2 was in preK last year; they only focused on getting the kids to recognize letters, colors, numbers, how to sound out their names and write. It was more important to them that they’re learning to socialize and classroom norms than advanced learning. Play was hugely emphasized too. Now he’s in kindergarten and working on sounding out their phonics after Thanksgiving break. He’s almost 6 for reference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

So, this is my slightly dissenting advice. What the preschool teacher is suggesting may not be age appropriate, however, if you have any concerns, keep a close eye on it. As a toddler and preschooler, DS seemed behind to me compared to his peers. He spoke later, didn't have as many words, etc. But since he knew his ABCs cold and could recognize his name,the advice I received was along the lines of "Don't worry," "He'll catch up," etc. And now he's almost 10, in fourth grade and continues to struggle with reading comprehension, some blended letter combinations and using the correct word.

All this to say, I wish I had listened to my gut a little bit more and gotten some interventions when he was younger. It just gets harder as they get older. I just wanted to share the perspective of someone where it just didn't "click." Or at least it hasn't so far.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    So, this is my slightly dissenting advice. What the preschool teacher is suggesting may not be age appropriate, however, if you have any concerns, keep a close eye on it. As a toddler and preschooler, DS seemed behind to me compared to his peers. He spoke later, didn't have as many words, etc. But since he knew his ABCs cold and could recognize his name,the advice I received was along the lines of "Don't worry," "He'll catch up," etc. And now he's almost 10, in fourth grade and continues to struggle with reading comprehension, some blended letter combinations and using the correct word.

All this to say, I wish I had listened to my gut a little bit more and gotten some interventions when he was younger. It just gets harder as they get older. I just wanted to share the perspective of someone where it just didn't "click." Or at least it hasn't so far.
    This is good advice IMO for middle of the year 1st/2nd grade if your DC is struggling to learn to read. That is a timeframe where educational testing can better detect any learning differences.
    K

m4nash is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

If he can identify rhyming words and make up rhymes, I wouldn’t worry about the inability to blend sounds at this point. However if he cannot rhyme I would personally be concerned. That was probably the biggest red flag at that age that my DD was dyslexic. She could memorize words, but didn’t learn to sound them out without lots of intervention from an Orton tutor.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

One of mine was reading before K 3 were not. With DS4 we used the preschool prep dvd's as back ground on the TV and in the van when we were driving his brothers all over the place. They have one on blends if you want to just keep it on as background noise during the day https://www.amazon.com/Meet-Phonics-...s%2C179&sr=8-3 BUT I agree with the others its NOT a preschool thing unless it clicks with your kiddo. I wouldn't push it at all.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Speaking as a kindergarten teacher, what they are asking your son to do is not developmentally appropriate. I’m thrilled if my students come in recognizing the letters, and if they know the sound that is a bonus. Do not push him to do something he developmentally is not ready to do. Let him be a kid and just play. If you can read to him a story a night that would be great.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast