Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Blending is NOT developmentally appropriate for preschool! Do not let the teacher worry you. This is a kindergarten skill that is taught after all of the letter sounds are mastered.

He sounds perfectly normal and healthy. Let him play and I would think of switching preschools for a better, play-based program.
    100% this

I would also seriously consider switching schools. I wouldn't want him to feel burned out before even getting to kindergarten!

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Phonics/ Reading help for almost 5 year old DS

My Dd1 had no interest in reading other than reading a book at night with a parent and tbh she memorized them vs. actually reading until about 1/2 way through Kindergarten and then all of a sudden she started reading. We didn’t push it at all and she did it.

My Dd2 on the other hand has some delays in reading and I did the same thing as I did with Dd1....I didn’t push it. When she was only comfortable reading I Can Read Level 1 or Preschool level books by the end of Kindergarten I knew maybe she had some difficulties there so I enrolled her in Kumon, which got her by the start of 3rd grade to a 3rd grade level (although we honestly stopped because the worksheets became very confusing.....some are old Japanese stories translated into English and became very hard for her to follow....I had heard this from other parents as well), but even now in 4th grade I think there is something else going on there with her being at below grade level and not having an interest in reading grade level books and books without pictures so we are having her tested next month for learning disabilities.

You as a parent know your child and use your gut. I do wish I had started DD2 at Kumon earlier though but mainly because the pre school program is t so much word recognition but handwriting as well and DD2 has pretty bad handwriting that needs help as well and I can’t get her to complete the Handwriting Without Tears books I bought her and hope that she actually learns to write using the cursive they are being taught this year in 4th grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-20-2019 at 09:59 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

daisy13 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thank you everyone for chiming in on both sides of the argument.Thanks to the PP who recommended the Phonics video. I found it on Prime Video and DS loves it already! My gut feeling is that- he is just too playful and doesn't want to sit down to make the effort . He has always been this way- I start to worry about each stage of his development and he just suddenly surprises me one day.

So for now- I will continue reading to him and letting him play with phonics apps...

His teacher's concern was more of- I see him feeling bad because DS's BFFs are now reading and pick up small books to read in class. She wanted me to be aware, if he said anything at home and maybe encourage him to keep trying and reading..

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy13 View Post
    Thank you everyone for chiming in on both sides of the argument.Thanks to the PP who recommended the Phonics video. I found it on Prime Video and DS loves it already! My gut feeling is that- he is just too playful and doesn't want to sit down to make the effort . He has always been this way- I start to worry about each stage of his development and he just suddenly surprises me one day.

So for now- I will continue reading to him and letting him play with phonics apps...

His teacher's concern was more of- I see him feeling bad because DS's BFFs are now reading and pick up small books to read in class. She wanted me to be aware, if he said anything at home and maybe encourage him to keep trying and reading..
    But how much does he really care and how much is he being made to care? Teacher: “Johnny, don’t you wish you were able to read a book like Sam does?” Johnny: shrug [or something that might be read as confirmation] That’s not the same as Johnny going up to his teacher and saying, “I’m sad because Sam can read and I can’t”. If ds is as you describe and happily playing, I can’t imagine he really cares. Give some thought about where the pressure is really coming from. Even if he is the one initiating it, he still might not be able to learn at this age and that’s ok!! Don’t assume he’s lazy. His brain is learning other new, great stuff right now instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by daisy13 View Post

If he sees other kids reading books in class and wants to join in, he could pick up a book and look through the pictures. That is 'reading' also. He can look at the words and pick out letters he knows. Just because he can't blend sounds doesn't mean he can't enjoy books on his own.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

You could try “Happy Phonics.” It’s a phonics based program for “active” kids. It’s hands-on and incorporates a lot of games.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3