Default Chromebook laptop?

We’re interested to buy DS1 a chromebook as one of his Xmas presents this year.

He currently has an iPad mini that’s fairly old and won’t be usable within 12/18 months. Want the chromebook to have ability to play Minecraft, but mostly to access his google classroom and enough memory.

I really don’t know much about it. But could you download apps with them? Add more programs? I don’t mind paying upwards 250-300 as I want him to last him through middle school collaborative assignments and papers.

Appreciate links of Chromebooks you’ve bought for your kids you’re happy with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm pretty sure you can't play Minecraft on a Chromebook. That's the reason we bought my DS1 a Windows laptop way back when he was younger and playing Minecraft.

Otherwise, I've been extremely happy with the 4 Chromebooks (of all different brands) I've owned over the years. I've had my current Acer Chromebook R11 for 2.5 years now with zero issues or complaints. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J42JPJG/

And yes, you can download apps on it. All my smart home apps that I have on my phone I also have on my Chromebook.
    Last edited by essnce629; 11-18-2019 at 04:57 PM.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My 8 year old said you can't play Minecraft on a Chromebook
    Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can't play Minecraft on a Chromebook. That's the reason we bought my DS1 a Windows laptop way back when he was younger and playing Minecraft.

Otherwise, I've been extremely happy with the 4 Chromebooks (of all different brands) I've owned over the years. I've had my current Acer Chromebook R11 for 2.5 years now with zero issues or complaints. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J42JPJG/

And yes, you can download apps on it. All my smart home apps that I have on my phone I also have on my Chromebook.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

That’s why I was afraid of! No big deal, but it would be nice if they had that capability.

So any recs for good solid chromebook then?

Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Well, I’ve been very happy with my “cheap” Acer from Target. I’ve always liked Acer. Dell also makes nice CBs.

I would avoid Asus and Samsung based on past experiences. Their quality was sub par.

Memory is not crucial on a CB because it’s Cloud based. But more memory is helpful if he plans to have multiple tabs/windows open at once. The CB will freeze if it runs out of “working” memory.

I’ve heard there’s a way to “hack” a CB to play Minecraft, but in general playing MC is not an option.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

Mommy_Mea is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

DH bought our Chromebook from Costco, it is an Acer and was $200 or $250. We have been very happy with it!

ETA: noticed this morning that it is actually Asus!

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    That’s why I was afraid of! No big deal, but it would be nice if they had that capability.

So any recs for good solid chromebook then?

Last edited by Mommy_Mea; 11-19-2019 at 07:36 AM.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    We’re interested to buy DS1 a chromebook as one of his Xmas presents this year.

He currently has an iPad mini that’s fairly old and won’t be usable within 12/18 months. Want the chromebook to have ability to play Minecraft, but mostly to access his google classroom and enough memory.

I really don’t know much about it. But could you download apps with them? Add more programs? I don’t mind paying upwards 250-300 as I want him to last him through middle school collaborative assignments and papers.

Appreciate links of Chromebooks you’ve bought for your kids you’re happy with!

We’ve had this Asus for about a year and it’s been great. The girls use it for their homework almost every night, and we’ve never had any problems with it. So easy to use. I like that it’s a bit more rugged, and has a spillproof keyboard, just in case .

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Chromebo...4132567&sr=8-2
    Last edited by mm123; 11-18-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10