okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Has anyone rented furniture?

We've recently moved,and prior to the move a lot of furniture was ruined/destroyed. I've ordered new furniture, but it won't be in until after the holidays. We have a few family members joining us for Thanksgiving and I'm trying to figure out the best temporary furniture solution. We currently eat at our bar on bar stools for all of our meals, and sit on the floor to watch TV in our living room. We'd obviously like to have a place to sit for our Thanksgiving meal, as well as a place to watch the Thanksgiving Parade/ football games. I've looked on our FB Marketplace for used items, but honestly, finding a truck to pick it up, and then relisting it and selling it again just aren't something we'd like to deal with. I've looked at folding chairs, but we got rid of our folding chairs prior to our move because in 7 years, we'd used them once, and we are really trying to not keep things we don't use on a regular basis. So, all that to say, the next option I was looking at was renting furniture. It's less than $100 for a month to rent a dining table and chairs, and a small sofa is $80. This would get us through Thanksgiving and even part of the holiday season if we decide to invite other guests over for a small dinner at some point. We've never rented furniture, so I'm not sure what to expect. Are the items in terrible shape? I'm not overly worried about the table, as I can wipe it down, but upholstered furniture makes me a bit nervous. Does anyone have any experience?
    Last edited by okinawama; 11-20-2019 at 02:58 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

If you can rent leather furniture, renting fabric makes me cringe, you know what goes on on couches/and there is no way to get them cleaned properly. Go to Rent a Center and see if they have a set with a coffee table etc.

I'd buy a folding table/tables and you could always use them afterwards, they are so handy and don't take up much storage, a tablecloth will cover it up, and rent folding chairs for Thanksgiving.

I haven't rented, but I mystery shop a furniture rental company.
    The stuff they have is crap. You basically are paying $$$$ for Ashley/Sauder quality. Plus it can be beat up - even some of the stuff they have in the showroom shows wear so I can't imagine what they actually deliver to your house.
    I would buy or rent a folding table and chairs from a general rental company rather than going with a rent-a-center type place. Put a tablecloth on it and it won't matter.
    Another alternative would be to join a buy nothing group on facebook. I have seen several dining room tables and chairs in the last week on ours. When you get your new furniture, post it again and someone will take it off your hands.
    For the couch, do you have a basement where something like a lovesac could go after you use it to get through this time?
    If you do end up going the rent-a-center route, do not take the first price they give you. Go home and wait for them to follow up with a call in a couple of days. They don't always do it, but they're supposed to.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One year I rented a long folding table and chairs from one of those event places. With a tablecloth is was just perfect.

Do you have a local rental place that isn't a national chain, we have one of those and they have nice stuff for staging and temp rentals.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I rented an "entire apartment" a few years ago for my husband when he was travelling for school. The living room set came brand new with tags, as was the table. I don't know if that was the standard or we got lucky. We rented from Rent A Center. Make sure that $180 you were quoted includes delivery and pickup at the end of the rental if you go that route.
    mom to Billy 12/07

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Honestly, at that price, the pick up and delivery alone is worth it. I can never do FB or ikea because who will pick/deliver/assemble? And in your case get rid of the stuff when your own furniture comes in. $200 for a month of rentals over the holidays sounds great even if it is low quality furniture
    FWIW, our RAC rentals are pretty decent
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Make sure you read the contract VERY CAREFULLY for minimum periods of rental, damages clauses, etc. They are likely to say you forfeit your deposit because of "damage" charges so you may want to factor that into your rental cost estimates. DH has helped some folks who have dealt with these businesses (RAC) etc. and they are pretty unscrupulous.
    K

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would ask around to see if you can borrow a folding table and chairs. I have several tables and a dozen chairs. We use them in the summer. We don’t host Thanksgiving so don’t use them at that time. I’ve happily lent them to friends that need them for the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I would ask around to see if you can borrow a folding table and chairs. I have several tables and a dozen chairs. We use them in the summer. We don’t host Thanksgiving so don’t use them at that time. I’ve happily lent them to friends that need them for the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Yes! I let a friend borrow my folding table and 6 chairs last Thanksgiving.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve been thinking about your dilemma. I do think borrowing could work. I have a tiny place and I still manage to have extra tables and chairs!

That said, I’d consider buying an inexpensive sofa that could be put in another room once your real furniture arrives. Maybe buy something small and neutral that could work in many rooms.