Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default What version of the Bible should I buy??

I didn't realize that there are so many versions of the Bible.

I would like to buy a Bible for my 18 year old daughter. She has gotten involved with our church youth group.
    We are Methodist.

Someone suggested the King James version of the Bible but then someone else suggested the New International Version because
    it is easier to read & understand.

What are your thoughts??
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I prefer the NIV. It's much more approachable than the KJ but not as watered down as the Good News version. It's a nice middle ground. I was given one in high school and still prefer it to any others (we are Congregational, not so far from Methodist).

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I am Catholic and went to a college group at a Baptist church and I found the NIV easy to understand. I actually read it more than my Catholic bible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Most UMC pastors are going to use NIV, NRSV, or Common English. CEB & NIV are both written in ~ 7th grade english. NRSV is a little more difficult.
    https://www.biblegateway.com/blog/20...eading-levels/

My personal preference, having read several different translations, including KJV, is the CEB, but I think NIV may be what more of the others will have.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

NIV is the best IMO also a study Bible would be helpful too with extra materials provided for understanding.
    K

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

This Life Application NIV study bible was SO helpful to me when I was really starting to read and understand the Word. There's so much geography, background info that's explained well in the notes at the bottom, PLUS there are tie-ins to what's really going on our everyday lives. Now that I'm advanced in age, I have the Large Print version of it One thing that I really like is the full page left-to-rightness of it. I'm sure there's a word for that, lol, but it helps my brain to read the whole line across, not the divided page-thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1414359810...980e5ed27c1e15

DH uses this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1433502410...980e5ed27c1e15

BDKmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

NIV is a good choice and there are lots of different study versions of it available. I used it for a while, after growing up reading King James. I now use English Standard Version, which is also great. I think King James and even New King James are tough, especially if she is new to studying the Bible.
    DS - Feb 2010
    DD - May 2012

California is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I lead a teen Bible study group and the church gives the students a teen study version of the NIV.

Will also throw out there that we use four different translations of the Bible to share out text (The Message, King James, NIV, and the Good News Translation) because it really gets them thinking about the important of word choice in translation, doing our own research, and forming our own conclusions. Having something to compare it to really seems to help them identify what they like about the NIV.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I didn't realize that there are so many versions of the Bible.

I would like to buy a Bible for my 18 year old daughter. She has gotten involved with our church youth group.
    We are Methodist.

What are your thoughts??
    There are an insane number of editions of the Bible! In (parochial, Catholic) grammar school. I used the "Good News" edition; my parents taught CCD using The Way (I am pretty sure these are Catholic editions) ... while my dad has either the NIV or the Jerusalem Bible as his primary text.

Anyway, which one does the youth minister recommend? That might be a good start ... or I can ask my friend (who is a Methodist minister whose work focuses on youth) for advice.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    This Life Application NIV study bible was SO helpful to me when I was really starting to read and understand the Word. There's so much geography, background info that's explained well in the notes at the bottom, PLUS there are tie-ins to what's really going on our everyday lives. Now that I'm advanced in age, I have the Large Print version of it One thing that I really like is the full page left-to-rightness of it. I'm sure there's a word for that, lol, but it helps my brain to read the whole line across, not the divided page-thing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1414359810...980e5ed27c1e15

DH uses this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1433502410...980e5ed27c1e15

All I can say is 2 thumbs up for mentioning large print for those of us who have not yet accepted the need for bifocals I never thought about being able to order LP version!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast