Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I ask the same question to a pastor once. He said to pick out your 4 favorite passages and look them up in the different versions and see which flows the best for you. I have the NIV large print that I like best I have the king james version my grandmother bought me for my 16th birthday also.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Corie is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by lizzywednesday View Post

Anyway, which one does the youth minister recommend? That might be a good start ... or I can ask my friend (who is a Methodist minister whose work focuses on youth) for advice.

I would love for you to ask your Methodist minister friend! Thank you!!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I am United Methodist (grew up Methodist, attended Baptist and non-congregational churches when first married, and am not back in a Methodist church). As a teen I had a study Bible written for teens that my church gave me, it was probably NIV or Living Bible. I used an NIV Study Bible in college (it was required for one of my classes at a Presbyterian School). I also own The Message (interesting to compare to other versions but I would not recommend it as your main Bible), an NIV Devotional Bible for women, and recently got the She Reads Truth Bible which is CSB, as I sometimes follow that app for Bible Studies and like how it reads. I'm not sure what the pew Bibles are in church but in Bible studies I have done with other church members it seems NIV is the most commonly used.

I'd ask the youth leader or Sunday school teachers what they use most or recommend, as she may want to bring it to meetings or classes to read from/follow along and I find it helpful if they are reading the same version as others. A good study Bible is nice with maps, footnotes, etc. to help understand things. I also like Bibles that have devotionals included, as I use those sometimes for my daily devotions.

elbenn is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Our church (Lutheran) gives out NIV bibles as gifts to members who are starting confirmation, so I agree with others that NIV edition is a good choice.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I would love for you to ask your Methodist minister friend! Thank you!!
    My friend Pastor Rae recommended this version of The Way:

https://www.christianbook.com/nlt-wa...ui2j9rFsZkfb1E

She said she usually recommends it for her Youth ... and recently purchased it for her one of her high-school aged daughters. (IIRC, one is a Senior and the other's a Sophomore if that helps you any.)
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2