Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I’d leave super early in the morning, no later than 5. Or, I’d leave tonight after rush hour and stay at a hotel half way. Weather is supposed to be bad the next two days. Our Thanksgiving plans are in limbo as there is a chance of snow in the cajon pass on Thursday. I’m from the Midwest so I don’t mind snow, but they may close the pass or require chains. We may see about driving up a day ahead or staying overnight Thursday to Friday, as I’d be so sad to miss Thanksgiving with my aunt and uncle.

KpbS is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’d leave 2-3 hours early.
    K

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I’d leave tonight and stay in a hotel part way.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    I don’t live in a reality where this is remotely a possibility!

As early as possible. Supposed to be one of the heaviest travel days on thanksgiving ever. Lots of people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Pack the car tonight, throw in some snacks, haul the kids out of bed at 5 am and send them straight to the car (go to the bathroom first obviously, but that is it). If they are starving give them a snack, then drive 2-3 hours before breakfast. Let them ride in their pajamas if they want to, or sleep in something like sweatpants and a T-shirt that is more like real clothes so they don’t have to change when they wake up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    This is probably what we’ll do. I grew up doing this and I don’t like it. I don’t mind really early mornings personally but my kids don’t take naps and really need their sleep. I like being properly dressed, having a nice breakfast and taking off but traffic is no fun either. “Next time” I’m going to have DH take two days off of work, lol!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    I don’t live in a reality where this is remotely a possibility!
    I'd think outside of cities that you could find affordable lodging for a night, if that is a concern. Worth a look, imo. Not worth $100 to you?
    We wouldn't get up early either though. We'd just deal with traffic. Use Waze or similar to route plan on the fly.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Honestly I would leave tonight, your kids will sleep in the dark car eventually. I have driven San Diego to Phoenix in good weather and no holiday traffic and it can be a pain. With the expected rain and the chaos that happens on the So Cal roads there is no way I'd leave tomorrow.

Unless you have lived there and driven in the rain, you don't understand the mess. Add Thanksgiving to it ans I'd drive at night no question.

You and your husband can switch off if needed. I drive a 14 hr drive mostly at night by myself so it's possible.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I'd think outside of cities that you could find affordable lodging for a night, if that is a concern. Worth a look, imo. Not worth $100 to you?
    We wouldn't get up early either though. We'd just deal with traffic. Use Waze or similar to route plan on the fly.
    This would be my first choice too. Drive and stop. Versus super long all day traffic drive with terrible weather and grumpy kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd leave now. Or tomorrow night. If neither of those is possible, then as early as you can manage. Which in our house is noon.

My kids are not car sleepers either. Even when we drive overnight to NC or even FL. They dont have to sleep. They just have to be quiet. at midnight, I say no more talking unless its an emergency or the car stops.

As much as I was throwing myself a pity party yesterday b/c its just going to be the 4 of us again, I'm glad we dont have to go anywhere. The weather is supposed to be miserable for most of the country!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Wow. Is it that bad? I guess we’ll see! For us a casual 6 hour drive us not stressful when we regularly do 12. But traffic and weather—that’s my concern. Cost is a major concern for us as we have some lofty financial goals that we won’t meet if we don’t keep things tight. I’m wondering if we don’t just decide to hunker down and go with the traffic. My concern is that we’ll be tired, pushing ourselves and still missing the window and then still hitting traffic and weather! Leaving at noon or two wouldn’t be smarter then? Keep it low key and casual. Cranking the radio. Making rest stops, etc.... or is that a nightmare waiting to happen?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast