Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    That sounds like misery.

OP- i get you having a long term financial goal but sometimes a splurge in the now is worth it. Hotelstonight.com and Priceline can find cheap hotels. You drive til you get out of the worse of your metro traffic (at least) then rest. Imagine how nice it’d be in the AM to be closer to your destination?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    So it’s 9 and we’re still packing... so I don’t see how leaving tonight helps us at all. Who wants to drive at 10 pm! I prefer 3... off to see if I can find that segment!

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would finish packing, put things in the car, and start your adventure! Seriously, Thanksgiving traffic is no joke and So Cal sig alerts can have you sitting for hours. If you drive overnight your chance of missing them is much higher. You can all nap when you get to your destination. I just googled it on google maps, it's 5 hrs 32 min currently from Irvine to Phoenix via Interstate 10. I'd leave around 2 am and avoid all the traffic. I bet your kids will sleep, if not, they can relax. I would not wait till the morning. Put them in comfy clothes right now (no button in the back, grab blankets and pillows.)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    So it’s 9 and we’re still packing... so I don’t see how leaving tonight helps us at all. Who wants to drive at 10 pm! I prefer 3... off to see if I can find that segment!
    To be fair, I suggested it way earlier. And it was only 7 the last time I beat the drum. Still possible to have made it. I thought 2-3 hours of driving would have been a good amount to get you out of the thick of things. Like pp said, you could have found a place with free breakfast too. Oh well! I hope your driving is going well! Safe travels!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default What time to leave for our big drive tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Pack the car tonight, throw in some snacks, haul the kids out of bed at 5 am and send them straight to the car (go to the bathroom first obviously, but that is it). If they are starving give them a snack, then drive 2-3 hours before breakfast. Let them ride in their pajamas if they want to, or sleep in something like sweatpants and a T-shirt that is more like real clothes so they don’t have to change when they wake up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yes to the above. Keep it simple in the am. You can run through a drive thru once you are in San Bernardino (there is a Bakers Drive Thru at Tippecanoe and the 10 which is very easy in and out.....they make great breakfast burritos) so that will be about 2 hours in, right? I don’t see everyone getting dresses if you getting up so early and just sitting in the car.

Other than getting to the 134 and then the 210 you are 100% going against morning commute traffic so you should be okay getting out of LA. I have no idea what traffic going to Phoenix will be like. If you haven’t left yet I would leave by 9 am and hope for the best. The later you leave the worse it will be
    especially in the afternoon. FWIW I get off work at 2pm today and work in Santa Ana and it will probably take me an hour to get home with the carpool lane to get back to Long Beach (it is 25 minutes w/o traffic and no carpool). I am sure you might hit a little traffic in between San Bernardino and Palm Springs, but I don’t think it will be that bad. It is suppose to rain in my area starting around 7:30 as well so rain maybe an issue but according to SigAlert.com all freeways in SoCal are green now!

Have a safe trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-27-2019 at 09:56 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh my gosh. Left at 4. Hit no traffic and some rain. By 7:00 while in Indio DS1 vomits all over the car. We’d been watching him with some trepidation as his blood sugars were crazy high for no reason (550!!). We couldn’t determine if his blood sugar is high because tummy flu? Or he threw up just because of the high sugar. Since we were planning on staying with family we decided we couldn’t chance it and turned around and drove home!!! So that’s that! The 4 am start time was not too bad. Traveling without babies makes road trips much easier! So I’ll remember that next time. Now we’re dealing with diabetes, potential tummy flu and a lot of disappointment!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh my gosh. Left at 4. Hit no traffic and some rain. By 7:00 while in Indio DS1 vomits all over the car. We’d been watching him with some trepidation as his blood sugars were crazy high for no reason (550!!). We couldn’t determine if his blood sugar is high because tummy flu? Or he threw up just because of the high sugar. Since we were planning on staying with family we decided we couldn’t chance it and turned around and drove home!!! So that’s that! The 4 am start time was not too bad. Traveling without babies makes road trips much easier! So I’ll remember that next time. Now we’re dealing with diabetes, potential tummy flu and a lot of disappointment!
    that’s terrible. I’m sorry!

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh wow, horrible! I'm sorry.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Percycat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm so sorry. I hope DS is better soon and it is nothing serious.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m so sorry! I hope he’s feeling better now.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry! I hope it was just the excitement etc. Hopefully you have some food in the house or are able to hit the store and can have a nice relaxing Thanksgiving by yourselves.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast