SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default "I'm sorry you misunderstood" is lame

And I am totally guilty of saying it myself! I'm going to check my words a lot more. In this case, it was assumed I knew something because anyone in that industry would know it- totally logical. Except I am not in that industry. Most of their clients aren't. They need to take a step back and remember that most people only have occasion to deal with them a few times in their lives and things aren't common knowledge. Own that you need to be the expert and risk telling people too much vs assuming they know a lot. Grrr. sorry for the vagueness of this particular situation but still holds that if you hold any of the blame, don't say, "I'm sorry you misunderstood." Own it and say, "I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. I really should have been more clear. I will remember that." (Which is what I think I usually say and then I do go forward and tighten up future communication- I'm always willing to hear and improve!)

The non-apologies! I hear ya. The one that bugs me the most is “I’m sorry you feel that way”

“I’m sorry for the misunderstanding” is a great apology & an actual apology.
    Mama to 3

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Ha ha! I think I use this phrase with my kids sometimes! I'll have to change my wording.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

wow, I really hope I don't say that. Going to have to listen to myself to be sure. Reading it, it feels like, "i'm sorry you're a dumba$$" Definitely going to make sure I don't say it, thanks! And how aggravating!

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    wow, I really hope I don't say that. Going to have to listen to myself to be sure. Reading it, it feels like, "i'm sorry you're a dumba$$" Definitely going to make sure I don't say it, thanks! And how aggravating!
    Right? That's exactly how it comes across. Now, to be fair, sometimes that is exactly what I have been saying when I used that line before but I won't use it anymore! I agree with pp: “I’m sorry for the misunderstanding” is a great apology & an actual apology.