Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I often do Fandango gift cards. So they can use them at multiple movie theaters.
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Gift cards are always welcomed in my experience. I usually do Target so they can pick up stuff for the classroom or for themselves or a restaurant (think Chick Fil A, Starbucks, not Ruth's Chris ) for Christmas.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Someone local posted this on a FB and unanimous consensus was gift card - whatever is in your area (Target/Walmart, or Amazon but mindful of ship amount not everyone has Prime) and a homemade letter/card of thanks. So many teachers commented on how those cards really made their Christmas!

DD1 MiniMoo 11/10
    DD2 MiniMoo2 9/13

“I have certain rules I live by. My first rule I don't believe anything the government tells me. and I don't take very seriously the media, or the press, in this country." - George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by marymoo86 View Post
    Amazon but mindful of ship amount not everyone has Prime)
    I agree with this. I heart Starbucks, but I know of plenty of people who don't frequent it. I think Target or Walmart might be the most versatile.

And for what it's worth, I do know of teachers (including my mom) who will use Christmas gift cards to supplement their classrooms for the second semester. It's either that or their own cash. I'm sure it happens more in poorer districts. I think your idea is very thoughtful.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by carolinacool View Post
    I agree with this. I heart Starbucks, but I know of plenty of people who don't frequent it. I think Target or Walmart might be the most versatile.

And for what it's worth, I do know of teachers (including my mom) who will use Christmas gift cards to supplement their classrooms for the second semester. It's either that or their own cash. I'm sure it happens more in poorer districts. I think your idea is very thoughtful.
    I agree. I tended to do Target cards.

The reality of the matter is many teachers do spend a lot of their own money for their room. Giving them a gift card to Target/Walmart gives them the CHOICE of doing what meets their needs/wants at that time. A big box GC allowed them to pad their own budget or their room's budget or both.

I do not see it as telling them that they NEED to buy for the room, but was cognizant of the reality that many do.

One of my best friend's husband is a teacher. He never visits Starbucks, but she is in heaven when he comes home with multiple Starbucks GCs, they certainly never went to waste. I didn't do those unless I knew the teacher loved it. There were a couple that were vocal about their Sbux love.
    Last edited by khm; 12-03-2019 at 01:04 PM.

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    I agree. I tended to do Target cards.

The reality of the matter is many teachers do spend a lot of their own money for their room. Giving them a gift card to Target/Walmart gives them the CHOICE of doing what meets their needs/wants at that time. A big box GC allowed them to pad their own budget or their room's budget or both.

I do not see it as telling them that they NEED to buy for the room, but was cognizant of the reality that many do.
    Yup.

I do either Target/local grocery or a local coffee shop. I know they are appreciated.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think gift cards are always appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    WHY would you think giving her a Christmas gift she should buy something for the class room WHY wouldn't she get something for herself?????? I would NEVER expect a teacher to use her Christmas gift card on a class item.
    As a teacher, I always appreciated when parents gave me a gift card that could possibly be used for the classroom. The reality was that a lot of my personal money went to my classroom, and gift cards soften the blow. It's just "stealing from Peter to pay Paul." Giving a gift card that can be used for a classroom frees up my personal funds to buy something I want for myself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2