Thread: Makeup for teen

Default Makeup for teen

I am considering taking my 13 yo DD somewhere to learn how to apply makeup (cover up, powder, etc nothing major). Where is the best place to go? Sephora? Ultra? Clinique or the like counter? Also, do you set up an appointment or can you just walk in? Thanks!
    SAHM to Pete and Repeat my "Irish Twins" - DD 12/06 and DS 11/07

Never argue with an idiot. He'll bring you down to his level, then beat you with experience.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Sephora is really good. They have a nice number if brands. I like it more than something like a single brand counter so you can mix things. I think they do it at Ulta too but I haven’t tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Default Makeup for teen

I had my makeup done at Ulta when I needed some new products and application tips before my wedding. I did not have an appointment, but maybe call and ask if they recommend making one? They were great and not too pushy. They told me which things they recommended specific products for, and some things I should just to go Walmart and buy. I am sure Sephora is good too, and I have bought and been happy with several of their house brand cosmetics that are less expensive than the other brands they carry. I would do one of those rather than a si gel brand makeup counter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    Sephora is really good. ...
    I love Sephora for this (the Ulta near us is always poorly lit and understaffed, so I feel ... unwelcome and unfashionable there, which is sad, because at one point, they carried more brands I wanted than Sephora did) - they have all kinds of cool services and, very often at the stores near me, classes.

The "full-face makeover" service is free with the purchase of at least $50 in product ... which is easy to do, even with the house-brand products!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My DD got into makeup on her own about that age, she loves Sephora and has learned most of her makeup application from youtube video's, her makeup game is "on point" as they say, when she has done HOCO and Prom everyone asks where she gets it done and can't believe she does it herself. I think going to Sephora and having them show her a few things and then letting her try out stuff on her own, and definitely she should check out youtube, it's literally a goldmine for makeup/hair tips and learning just about anything. Ulta is what we have locally, and it's ok, but I agree that Sephora is probably best. I'd avoid Clinique as I find it's really for older folks. Nordstrom is also good but I think Sephora is more "cool". I'd avoid going on the weekend, maybe right after school on a weekday when they aren't so busy, they are usually insanely busy on the weekends.

Jeanne is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

For a teen just starting out, Ulta. They have more affordable and teen trendy brands that span low to mid price range. They have a better reward point system and they have multiple 20% off coupons each year. I only buy certain brands at Sephora that I can’t get at Ulta simply because the loyalty program is that much better. Ulta points don’t expire either. The only brands to buy at Sephora is Hourglass, Marc Jacobs, Charlotte Tilbury, Natasha Denona and Pat McGrath. And that’s if not near a Nordstrom. Those brands are pricey and have certain HG items that teens are not buying. Nordstrom has almost every brand that Sephora carries and gives out tons of samples and GWP’s.

Our local Sephora store is really dark (in mall with no natural light) and their make up folks matched both my daughter and I the wrong color foundation on different visits. So, if you decide to go the Sephora route, make sure to pick a store with good lighting.