Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MMMommy View Post
    I would have your sister just tell the giver that the name is undecided at this time. I would say the name is undecided and not a "surprise" because a surprise name could technically be told to the giver in secret to help them complete this personalized gift purchase. "Undecided" makes it easier since the giver can't possibly personalize the gift if you don't know what the name will be.

And like PPs said, just accept the gift graciously and say "thank you." What your sister does after that is entirely up to her--donate, toss, etc.
    This is what we did. People didn’t bother us to reveal the name since we hadn’t decided.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Undecided is a great idea. Thanks guys. Also i think the idea of picking a common name like Emma (to donate) is hilarious and ingenious TwoWhat!

mommy111 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

‘They’re waiting to see the baby before deciding on a name. I don’t want your nice personalized gift to be the wrong name, perhaps give her something generic?’
    just kidding
    id use the first part of that and then thank them profusely for their efforts
    '...everything can be taken from a man but one thing, the Last of the Human Freedoms, the ability to choose one's behavior in any set of circumstances, the Freedom to Choose One's Own Way.' -Viktor Frankle

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Chart

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I mean what if they were telling people they had chosen "Emma", then when she was born and they changed their mind????

Is this something expensive that the giver is making? It seems so sad to know it's probably going to be donated, but I guess if this person is determined to give it oh well.

Just tell them we are undecided on a name at this time (that would have been the truth for both of my kids, didn't know gender or what name until they were born).

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think she has to accept it graciously, take pictures of the baby with it, send a polite thank you note with the photo, then donate it. I received a number of homemade blankets and outfits, and I know a lot of love went into making them so I cherished that sentiment, even if I barely used some of them and donated them later.

Great idea to say they don’t know the name.
    I am SO curious to know what it is 😂

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    Undecided is a great idea. Thanks guys. Also i think the idea of picking a common name like Emma (to donate) is hilarious and ingenious TwoWhat!
    I love this idea too. As another pp said, what if they changed their mind once they saw the baby?

Anyway, she just has to thank the gift giver profusely, take a photo of baby in it, then send it to Goodwill. If the giver of the gift feels warm and fuzzy and that your sister loved the gift, then it’s served its purpose. Even if it’s personalized, someone else could use it for another reason (like dressing their dog in it). You never can tell.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

I don't know I'd take it to goodwill. If it is LARGE and decorative, it sounds like it might be too identifiable to go to goodwill if this is her "thing" (OP said she's made it for others).

I guess I'm picturing it being a large wooden pallet sign or something.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by khm View Post
    I don't know I'd take it to goodwill. If it is LARGE and decorative, it sounds like it might be too identifiable to go to goodwill if this is her "thing" (OP said she's made it for others).

I guess I'm picturing it being a large wooden pallet sign or something.
    ok, now I’m dying to know what this item is. I pictured a crocheted or knitted outfit or something. Melaine, any hints??
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

JustMe is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Sorry I am late to this thread, but agree with telling the person that they are not sharing the name (I think it is also fine to say undecided, but it is their right not to share the name as well and I think it is fine to be honest about that), but that saying no to the gift or indicating she would not want it, is not the way to go. I am also curious about what the item is!
    lucky single mom to 20 yr old dd and 17 yr old ds through 2 very different adoption routes

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Am I the only one who is envisioning a large, garish item with the word "Undecided" where the name would otherwise go? (In a decorative font, of course)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast