Default Warm, waterproof, supportive winter boots

I need suggestions for new winter boots. My current ones are about 5 years old, and are still warm but not supportive at all.

We are going through labour issues at work, and I had to walk a picket line for 4 hours a few days ago. My toes were warm, but my soles, calves and hips were killing me the day after. My boots are just not supportive/comfortable enough. The insole is completely flat and hard, with no arch support or cushioning at all. We have to do the same again one day next week, and I want to be better prepared!

So, please recommend winter boots that are: waterproof, warm, supportive and comfortable (i.e., very good for walking). Not as concerned about looks as I am about functionality. I live in Canada, and will potentially be walking in the cold/snow, so I need something made for the real winter .

Thanks!
    Last edited by mm123; 12-06-2019 at 06:27 PM.
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Can you put inserts into what you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

I'm in Canada also, and just got a new pair of winter boots after my old Sorels lost all their cushioning after going strong for about 10 years. I got the Keen Hoodoo Tall, half a size larger than my usual boot size. I can't vouch for how waterproof they are, as we haven't had much snow yet, and how warm they will be once the temps really go down, but they seem quite supportive and cushy so far. I have very picky feet so I definitely have to settle for functionality over looks. These are definitely not stylish, but so far my feet have been happy in them.

hannah is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mm123 View Post
    I need suggestions for new winter boots. My current ones are about 5 years old, and are still warm but not supportive at all.

We are going through labour issues at work, and I had to walk a picket line for 4 hours a few days ago. My toes were warm, but my soles, calves and hips were killing me the day after. My boots are just not supportive/comfortable enough. The insole is completely flat and hard, with no arch support or cushioning at all. We have to do the same again one day next week, and I want to be better prepared!

So, please recommend winter boots that are: waterproof, warm, supportive and comfortable (i.e., very good for walking). Not as concerned about looks as I am about functionality. I live in Canada, and will potentially be walking in the cold/snow, so I need something made for the real winter .

Thanks!
    I just got Oboz winter boots which I love. They have a supportive arch but the insole comes out and I can put my orthotics in.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hannah View Post
    I just got Oboz winter boots which I love. They have a supportive arch but the insole comes out and I can put my orthotics in.
    Last winter, DGD1 needed good winter boots for a trip to Quebec. At the recommendation of an REI salesclerk, we bought Oboz boots. We had never heard of them, but they were great — very supportive, warm, definitely up to Winter Carnival challenges! When I was shopping for hiking-type shoes, I tried some Oboz and they were so supportive and comfy, I snapped them up.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Buy some valenki. This will easily solve the problem of heat and convenience. The main thing is to find a model with a sole so they do not slide.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Good luck with the strike! Having dealt with some serious ankle issues as a result of the wrong, but well reputed winter boot (Merrell, fantastic boot but just not right for my foot even though it felt super comfy), I highly recommend going to a store where they can fit you. I love REI for this reason.

for Sandy Hook

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I have come to realize that getting an orthotic/orthotic type thing is the best thing I ever did for my feet.

Granted, I have not yet gone to a real podiatrist,but 15+ years ago, I went to a Surefoot store at a ski resort (Whistler Blackcomb) and had the whole treatment. It was raining so I used the money I would have spent skiing that day and put it towards custom (running) insoles, ski boot liners, and custom molded ski boots. At one point maybe 9-10 years ago, I had them (at Steamboat) make another pair of insoles from the molds they took. I’m tempted to get another pair fitted this week if there’s time while I’m there.

The way they aligned my knees, ankles, feet to be in the right form and then used technology to make something to keep my foot in that position makes all the difference in how my shoes feel. I stick the insoles in Merrell boots, Nike shoes, anything they fit in, and WOW what a different experience! I don’t think superfeet are the same since they are not custom, but I do highly recommend having some custom insoles as a first step.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    I have come to realize that getting an orthotic/orthotic type thing is the best thing I ever did for my feet.

Granted, I have not yet gone to a real podiatrist,but 15+ years ago, I went to a Surefoot store at a ski resort (Whistler Blackcomb) and had the whole treatment. It was raining so I used the money I would have spent skiing that day and put it towards custom (running) insoles, ski boot liners, and custom molded ski boots. At one point maybe 9-10 years ago, I had them (at Steamboat) make another pair of insoles from the molds they took. I’m tempted to get another pair fitted this week if there’s time while I’m there.

The way they aligned my knees, ankles, feet to be in the right form and then used technology to make something to keep my foot in that position makes all the difference in how my shoes feel. I stick the insoles in Merrell boots, Nike shoes, anything they fit in, and WOW what a different experience! I don’t think superfeet are the same since they are not custom, but I do highly recommend having some custom insoles as a first step.

That's amazing. So they were customized by the store staff? Given that I have crazy fussy feet, I assume it would be better to go to a podiatrist? Also trying to see if I understood this right - the same molds have lasted you 9/10 years?

for Sandy Hook

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    That's amazing. So they were customized by the store staff? Given that I have crazy fussy feet, I assume it would be better to go to a podiatrist? Also trying to see if I understood this right - the same molds have lasted you 9/10 years?
    Yes, the same molds still make my feet comfy in all shoes and when I don’t wear them, my hip/back bones hurt.