theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Craft ideas for tweens?

I’m hosting my 5th graders friends for a cookie decorating party this weekend. I’m having trouble figuring out how much i should have planned to do. I was planning on making most of the cookies ahead of time and then letting them decorate 5-10 cookies each. DD thought it would be fun to be able to cut out the shapes and bake during the party. Is that do able?

Should i also have a craft to do? If so, any ideas of hits for this age? I am not crafty at all so I’m struggling!

I have lots of other cookie ideas but not sure how to go about baking during the party. Would love any tips from more experienced mamas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to 3 awesome kids

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have hosted cookie decorating parties many times and think it’s best to have the cookies baked and ready to go. But, you could compromise and have them do a few from dough in addition to.
    Word of warning- it’s always been a very fast activity! I have had a few patient, diligent decorators at times but all too often kids whip through it. Rather than a back of craft, get out a game they can play like Apples to Apples Jr or Uno or have a movie available.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by theriviera View Post
    ...DD thought it would be fun to be able to cut out the shapes and bake during the party. Is that do able?
    Yes, it's do-able to cut-and-bake, but not necessarily do-able to decorate. Depending on how thick you roll the cookies, they may take forever to cool enough that the icing won't melt.

Should i also have a craft to do? If so, any ideas of hits for this age? I am not crafty at all so I’m struggling!
    I am not at all crafty, but I lead Girl Scouts in this age range. If you want to do a holiday-themed craft, we decorate handmade ornaments every year for a community service project, so we have a bunch of ornament instructions that may help you out.

This year, we took plain, clear plastic ball ornaments, swirled a squirt of floor polish (yes, really!) inside, then added fine glitter.

Last year, we made cinnamon stick trees using cinnamon sticks, pieces of artificial fir, and colorful buttons.

The year before that, we made salt dough ornaments - I pre-made them in large star shapes, spray-painted them with white paint before the girls painted/glittered them, then I sealed with gloss finish ModPodge.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Last year when my DD was a 5th grader, we hosted 8 of her friends for a sleepover where we decorated cookies. I had the dough made ahead of time but then I let them all roll it out, cut it into shapes, decorate with sprinkles and then I baked them for the girls. If I remember correctly, I gave each girl half a batch of dough so they were each able to make two-three sheets of cookies. There was a lot of flour everywhere but they had fun and it kept them very busy. They really took their time choosing shapes and sprinkles. I have a lot of cookie cutters that I got from my mom so they have quite a few to choose from but these I bought new and they were fun. https://smile.amazon.com/CHRISTMAS-S...6032424&sr=8-4 When using the 3D cutters you really have to roll out the dough thick so the baked cookies are sturdy enough to "build."

Depending on how many cookies the girls make, it could keep them busy for an hour to 90 minutes. Or, you have some of the girls roll out some of cookies and bake them without sprinkles. Then they could mix up frosting and decorate their plain cookies after they cool. It won't take the plain cookies long to cool down after they come out of the oven if you take them off the baking sheet. Maybe even put them in the fridgerator. While the girls are waiting for their cookies to cool, let them make a cup of tea or mix up a cup of cocoa to eat with some of their cookies when they are finished.

ETA: if you want another craft to do, it's a great time of the year to make ornaments. Check out pinterest for some fun ideas. Like a pp, some of our girls liked filling up empty plastic bulbs (50% off at Hobby Lobby right now or available through Walmart), with mini marshmallows and then coloring eyes and mouth with black sharpies and nose with orange puffy paint to make fun snowman bulbs. That's pretty cheap and takes time to fill the bulbs with marshmallows one by one. Otherwise, with some paper bowls, koolaid packets and coconut oil, the girls could make koolaid lipgloss. There are some pinterest recipes for that too. Just make sure they don't get it all over your kitchen. Stains!
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 12-10-2019 at 11:10 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

theriviera is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I knew you ladies would have great ideas! I'm not sure I have it in me to have them roll out the cookies, but I may make extra dough for that.

I like the marshamallow ornament idea. I will try to get to hobby lobby tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!
    Mama to 3 awesome kids