Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    You have to stick up for your kid no matter what, even if it ultimately makes you be “that mom.” Your kid is worth it!!! We aren’t talking name calling, but physical injury.

Please talk to her and let her know if his health conditions and to please let you know ASAP the next time something happens.
    Thanks, I needed to hear this

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    I agree with ALL of this.

However, not every teacher will be sympathetic. In K we heard from a friend how DC was being treated by a few peers. When I asked the teacher about it she stated "that is not happening in my classroom". It was happening, and it decimated DC's self-esteem for years.

In the same class DC had an overly affectionate peer that was creating safety issues for DC, the teacher did very little on that front either.

If the teacher does not take you seriously, please escalate the issue to the principal/guidance counselor/nurse. I regret not doing so. Your child should feel safe at school.
    I'm sorry this happened to your DC.

We had a similar experience in daycare, a Bright Horizons to boot. The director completely dismissed my concerns and I came away feeling helpless.

Thanks to each one of you for weighing in.

I'm meeting with the teacher next week. I'm hopeful that it will be a productive meeting.

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Sounds like you've already reached out to the teacher, which is great.

I just wanted to add that in your shoes, I would do one thing before meeting with the teacher, and that is to ask my child to talk to the teacher. I'd prep with her in advance about how to do it/what to say, but I'd have it start with my DD. I think it's incredibly important for kids to learn how to stand up for themselves/advocate for themselves, and I think starting young with these small interactions is really valuable. In high school and college, I had peers who would accept misgraded papers, not ask for help, etc. because they were uncomfortable requesting something from a person in authority. It happens all the time in healthcare, too. The younger we can teach our kids to be comfortable reaching out for help, but better off they'll be in the long run! (I know in this case the DC told the aide at recess, but I'm talking about going to the teacher and saying "I need your help with a problem.") I know it seems super young but my DD actually had a similar issue this year (she's also 7) and she was able to get help from the teacher by herself....which made us both really proud!

Of course, if my child didn't get a positive response and a change didn't occur, of course I'd jump in myself....if your child is being repeatedly hurt, you're definitely not being "that mom" to want a solution!
    Lizi

Thanks for weighing in Lizi. You make a good point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2