Philly Mom is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default S/O WWYD: Kindergartner and pushing/tripping

I didn't want to post in the first grade thread, but I think I may be dealing with a similar, albeit, less severe situation. My kindergartner came home yesterday and said that during gym class another girl, A, purposefully tripped her so that DD would fall and push down another boy, B. DD said she hit her head. It sound like the gym teacher sent all three kids to their teacher who said if A acted up again she would send notes home and then sent them back. The gym teacher made A sit out the rest of class. This is not the first time A has done something targeting my daughter. My daughter stated that it started when my daughter used a pink marker instead of a red marker when they were doing a group project and A was upset. I don't know how often it has happened, but this is not the first time. DD is easy going and doesn't seem upset. She is a confident kid so part of me wants to just let her handle it, but then part of me wants to ask that she isn't sitting near A or kept away from A. It is also totally possible that my DD is over exaggerating or inventing something. Torn on what to do. Any thoughts?

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Like I said in the other thread, I’d email the teacher and ask them to keep an eye on things. When ds2 was having trouble with a classmate we eventually looped in the teacher and wish we’d done it sooner. She made sure they weren’t seated near each other or in small groups together. It was super easy to accommodate. Definitely talk to the teacher.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When my DD was in a very similar situation, I did tell her plainly (and calmly) that I did not want her to sit next to classmate A. I've done the same with my DSs in similar situations. I've pointed out how these children often get into trouble and just being near them can make you too in trouble, even if you have done nothing wrong. I've also gone on to point out that classmate A is not a kind friend and while I expect them to be kind 100% of the time, that does not mean they need to spend extra time with classmate A. I tell my kids to say hello to those kids if they say hi and reply when they are spoken to. Friendly not friends.

When my DS was intentionally tripped in PE in kindergarten by a classmate A, he chipped half of his front permanent tooth. I'm sorry your DD hit her head.
    K

I'm torn on this one. The story sounds a little embellished. I can believe the tripping part, but maybe not that A planned it so your DD would fall into another boy (how would your DD know this? I can't imagine A laid out her plan evil-mastermind style. )

I don't think it's a big deal if you email the teacher and just let her know to keep an eye out. I also think it would be fine to just tell your DD to avoid A.

Kind of OT, but in our school, if a kid hits their head they're automatically sent to the clinic and parents are called. I realize not all schools have this policy, but it would bother me if my kid fell and hit their head, presumably on the gym floor, and I had to hear about it from my kindergartner. Head injuries are no joke.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with the PPs. Email the teacher with a brief explanation that there seem to have been a few incidents between your DD & A and that you would like them to be kept separated where possible. I had to do something similar with DS and a child in first grade, who later turned out to be one of his best friends, but for that year, they needed to be separate.
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)