mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Cost of Estrogen medication?

So I'm going to start taking Prempro, lowest dose available as the hot flashes are pretty brutal (and waking at night which I've never ever had).

With my insurance (an HMO Silver plan my copay was 50.00 for 28 day supply). Curious if others take this and how much they pay.

I am shocked at the sticker price of this drug, I bet if it was for men it wouldn't be nearly as expensive.

When I did a google search it was showing prices at about 180.00 using a discount card (no insurance though). I may look for a discount card or whether I can buy cheaper from Canada if I continue, I'm just trying this out right now to see how it makes me feel.

minnie-zb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It's also worth checking the prices at different pharmacies. I know for me Costco tends to be the cheapest for prescriptions. I always thought it would be the same everywhere, but it's not.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Two comments:
    1. No experience with Prempro, but I use Estrace vaginal cream, and my copay for a single tube is $64, making it the highest of any meds I take. My insurance puts it in the highest tier of normal meds (that is, not the specialty/chemo/etc tier). There doesn't seem to be any generic form of vaginal estrogen cream...
    2. Depending on the type of insurance you have, there may or may not be any point in shopping around. As far as I know, the copay with my insurance doesn't vary by pharmacy unless the pharmacy's actual cost is lower than the copay. I've occasionally had that experience with super cheap generics, but never with any branded drug.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Well, I can say, that after only 8 days the hot flashes are gone!!! They were the only real issue, haven't had any other major symptoms (libido still good, no dryness thank goodness), some minor moodiness. I did get a period? /bleeding about 2 weeks in but that's supposedly normal, but the lack of hot flashes is great, maybe worth 50 dollars a month (and I'm a cheapskate!).

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Thought I'd update, one day when I was refilling my scrip I lamented the cost, my pharmacist said, just have your doctor write two scripts, one for estradiol and one for progesterone (both generic), he figured out the dosage and it costs 20.00 now a month total. I love my independent pharmacist.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

check out goodrx.com. you can enter your zip code and it will tell you the cash price with the goodrx.com discount to multiple pharmacies in your area. you can print it out and being it with you. Sometimes it is cheaper to ise goodrx then it is too go through your insurance.

All hormonal drugs are very expensive but in different pharmacies prices may vary. I know that generics are cheaper than branded medicines, you can compare the prices of different drugs on Canadian Pharmacy for example. I usually ask the doctor to prescribe me a generic, because the course of my regular pills is too expensive for me and my insurance doesn't cover it.