Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Shoe challenge: most versatile ballet flat for tweens (formal)

DDs wanted to do Cotillion next year. It starts in January. DD2 has special needs for her shoes - one of them has to be lifted because her right leg is nearly 2 inches shorter than her left. There are 6 nights of Cotillion and she will need 6 different outfits (formal dresses, basically). Because it's expensive to add in these lifts, I want to get her a SINGLE pair of flats that will work for all of the nights. They need to be comfortable but also versatile and work with a variety of formal dresses/colors. I am thinking either a nude flat or a nude-ish metallic (like a beige-y gold-ish) so that she can wear with both dark colors and light colors (haven't bought the dresses yet but that's easier). The sole MUST be split-able (the cobbler will split the sole in order to add in the lift in the center - "sandwiched" by the original sole - and allow her to maintain the same tread on both shoes) so rubber is easiest but this cobbler can do almost anything. Since her lift is so high, a wider, flatter sole is better for stability - no wedges or she will totally twist an ankle. I'm looking everywhere and am willing to purchase multiple pairs online from FS/FR stores or stores easy to return in person to. A sole that is the same/similar color to the shoe is less conspicuous and would be preferred...DD2 is already fretting about how "stupid" she'll look.

Something with straps would be extra nice because the lifts do add some weight and straps would help keep the heel from slipping off, especially if she wears hose. Something like these from Amazon maybe? Is this cute for tweens and not silly?

Any recommendations to help my search would be awesome!! She wears a women's 6.5-7. It takes about 2 weeks to do the custom lift and Cotillion starts mid-Jan so I'm starting to sort of panic!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-21-2019 at 03:53 PM.

Do they really need a different formal outfit for each day? My niece did this recently and I think she got 3 dresses and wore each twice (or possible 2 and wore them 3 times?). At least in her case it was not necessary to have 6 formal dresses.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

Correct, she could re-wear a couple of dresses. But I still want to only have to buy one pair of shoes

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think the ones you linked are cute.

Or these
    https://www.amazon.com/DailyShoes-Co...-41&th=1&psc=1
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Would Rothys work ?

also DH has a similar issue. He uses this 2 in a shoe
    https://www.roguefitness.com/versali...l-lift-inserts
    Last edited by hillview; 12-21-2019 at 06:56 PM.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Correct, she could re-wear a couple of dresses. But I still want to only have to buy one pair of shoes
    Definitely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Would these work? https://www.dsw.com/en/us/product/lu...ctiveColor=241

We have them in another color, and they are comfy.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Vionics? They have a removable insert (so deeper in general) and are a little wider than other ballet flats.

Robin Flat in pewter
    https://www.vionicshoes.com/robyn-flat.html?76=18

Caroll Ballet Flat in champagne or rose gold
    https://www.vionicshoes.com/caroll-ballet-flat.html

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Out of all of those,I like the look of the vionic caroll the best. Does the lift go on the inside or outside of the shoe? I assume outside since it’s 2 inches.

Yes, the lift has to go outside because of the amount of the difference. She used to use heel lifts on the inside but now the difference is too great for that. I hate to spend $100 on a pair of shoes (plus the $130 that the lift will cost) that she's going to wear 6 times (and she's also going to be undergoing a procedure to help correct the length difference very soon) so this is really a temporary fix to get her through Cotillion, otherwise I would be happy to get her Rothys or Vionics (I have already promised her a pair of Rothy's once her feet stop growing, LOL).

Thanks for the recs so far! I'm leaning towards a cheapo pair like the ones on Amazon...DD2 is also starting to consider whether she wants to skip the lift and just manage all the Cotillion nights standing on tiptoe on one foot (which is how she walks around at home barefoot) in which case we will definitely need shoes with straps...so I might order a couple of pairs for her to wear around the house and see if she could manage without a lift for an hour at a time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast