Thread: Seriously??

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Seriously??

I’ve been teaching for 16 years and have never had this happen before. My school does a winter holiday program. We do two performances at 8:30am and 10:45am. For weeks we send home countless notes about it with the times clearly stated, plus there were at least 2 phone calls, if not more about it. I’ve had it in my weekly newsletter which this parent signed and returned each week. Our show was yesterday. I had a student all upset as he didn’t see his parent at either of the shows. When dad picked him up, dad asked what time he should be back for the show. The parents thought the shows were at 8:30 and 10:45 pm!! Why would we have little kids out that late at night?? Did they not notice the line of parents wrapped around the block waiting to get into the auditorium when they dropped their child off in the morning?? I felt so bad for this child, but this parent used no common sense, nor did they pay any attention to all of the fliers that clearly said 8:30 and 10:30am.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

poor kid!
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

sadly, i can see this happening. lots of incredibly clueless parents. poor kid.

how old was the kid though? i'm surprised the kid didn't tell the parents the correct time at some point ahead of time. my kids are 3rd and 4th grade and they remind me for days ahead of things like this. maybe not exact time but at least the fact that it was during the school day. that is certainly bizarre.

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I teach Kindergarten. However we had talked all week about our schedule for Thursday and Friday since I have some students that don’t do well with change. This particular student is pretty smart and articulate, so I would have thought he would tell his parents as well. All week we talked about Friday was going to be a busy day. We would eat breakfast, then go perform for our parents. Then we would have recess. After recess we would perform for our parents again. Then we would have a cookie party and go home. I literally said this exact schedule at least 5 times a day every day this week. I talked to my principal after the fact as I was concerned the parent would complain about me, and I showed the principal my weekly reminders with the schedule that the parents had signed saying they read the reminders. My principal assured me it wasn’t my fault, but I felt (and still feel) badly about it.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

While that's sad, it seems you did all you could.

You might ask other parents if they recorded the show, so the missing parents can see it... chances are someone did.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    While that's sad, it seems you did all you could.

You might ask other parents if they recorded the show, so the missing parents can see it... chances are someone did.
    Yes, I would see if someone can share a video! that may help all of you feel better about it. I wonder if this is their first kid in school. Maybe they assume all events are held after working hours.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)