Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Gulf Shores/Orange Beach areas

I'm late to it, but want to book something for spring break this year. We'll drive, so I am thinking of trying Alabama. I know it might be on the chilly side, but it seems there is a lot to do in those areas regardless, and I'm tired of yucky Michigan weather over spring break.

Kids will be 11, 13, 15 when we go. I'm trying to figure out where to stay. I'd like there to be enough for them to just go do on their own, with each other, etc. I don't want to have to drive to everything and do everything as a family of 5. Yes we will do some, but I think having a place with a lot of options would be fun. I think I've narrowed it down to Beach Club Resort and Caribe Resort.

Beach Club - further from the "stuff" of the area. Has tennis courts, including clinics. Game room, ping pong, heated outdoor pool, on the beach, a few restaurants and ice cream places. They have an activity calendar with crafts, smores, and more things that some of my kids would enjoy.

Caribe - closer to the "stuff" to do in the area. Tennis court, but no lessons. Ping pong, pools (non-heated outdoor), lazy river, mini golf, 1 restaurant. Not on the beach, but there is a trolley to get there and it's close.

Both are condo rental places, so we'd eat some meals in the condo I am sure. We'd bring food and do a grocery shopping trip on the way in.

Both are about the same price, with Beach Club a little more.

I think we would stay 4 nights, which is just 3 full days. Not super long, which makes me wonder if it's worth it . We can't leave here until Saturday evening, so would arrive Sunday night (stopping on the way). DS1 is loosely considering UA for college, so wants to do a tour while we are down there, so we'd need to be able to get there by Friday for that. Maybe we can add another night. I'll play with it - 4 days sounds better!

Anyone been to either and want to weigh in?
    Kris

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

No specific info, but a question: when is your Spring break?? That will definitely affect whether it’s chilly and maybe other things like possible college tours. (NOTE: I have family members whose Spring break is anywhere from mid-Feb until latter part of April.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    No specific info, but a question: when is your Spring break?? That will definitely affect whether it’s chilly and maybe other things like possible college tours. (NOTE: I have family members whose Spring break is anywhere from mid-Feb until latter part of April.)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    We are off the week of March 30.
    Kris

No one?

I'm still debating with DS1 about going at all with robotics practice still happening. But I think we are leaning towards going. Pretty sure the Beach Club is what I want, but I'd love feedback for there or anywhere else.
    Kris

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We love the Wharf and stay down there when we are in Orange Beach area. They have lazy river, movie theater, restaurants, zip line, and ferris wheel. It is not right on the beach, but we were ok with that and have stayed here at least 3 times. We usually go through VRBO for the condo rental.

https://alwharf.com/

I think you are on the right track trying to stretch it to four days. Never have been there but expect the temps would be similar to the aFlorida panhandle where it is definitely beach weather by late March.

Quote Originally Posted by okinawama View Post
    We love the Wharf and stay down there when we are in Orange Beach area. They have lazy river, movie theater, restaurants, zip line, and ferris wheel. It is not right on the beach, but we were ok with that and have stayed here at least 3 times. We usually go through VRBO for the condo rental.

https://alwharf.com/
    That looks like a fun spot too. Are the activities included in the condo rental? I'm working through the pages. My kids would love the zip lining. Is it a place to are fine on their own? Like head to the movie or a restaurant? I'm going to check it out more. Thank you!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Kris

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    I think you are on the right track trying to stretch it to four days. Never have been there but expect the temps would be similar to the aFlorida panhandle where it is definitely beach weather by late March.
    That's good to hear about the weather.

We are still talking about vacation vs robotics, but if we go I'm cutting out some of the extras and just doing 4 days at the beach.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
    Kris

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Plan for anything, friends from Michigan went to Destin, so further south sort of two years ago, it was chilly that last week of March /first week of April. But it's definitely warmer than home. We have gone to St. Pete around March 25th and it's always been in the 70s to low 80s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    Plan for anything, friends from Michigan went to Destin, so further south sort of two years ago, it was chilly that last week of March /first week of April. But it's definitely warmer than home. We have gone to St. Pete around March 25th and it's always been in the 70s to low 80s.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'm sure it will be warmer than Michigan at least! We've had too many snowy spring breaks. But, having a lot to do and a heated outdoor pool is part of why I like the Beach Club!
    Kris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast