Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default intermittent fasting anyone

I am trying this intermittent fasting thing. Anyone done / doing this? I am trying to not eat until 1 pm. Eventually I will try to limit calories on 2 days (in addition to the restricted meal times). Any results? How do you feel? Any advice?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

daisyd is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There was a recent thread on this by Globetrotter with lots of tips.

I tried it briefly but I found myself getting hungry and cranky with calorie restriction. Adhering to the window was hard too due to work and home schedules and not planning ahead. I've been meaning to resume after the holidays.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default intermittent fasting anyone

I had just seen this covered on the local news: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/25/healt...rnd/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I had just seen this covered on the local news: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...-2018062914156

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/25/healt...rnd/index.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this is what got me thinking. I am on day 2 of IF.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I started in May doing 16:8. I lost and gained the same 4 lbs all summer. Sounds like a failure but I have consistently gained 5 - 10 lbs every summer so not gaining was a win in my book. I moved to 20:4 in September and that’s when I started to see the scale move. I’m down 20 lbs since September. I have started working out pretty consistently as well so I think it’s a combo of the two. I can fast 22 - 28 hours very easily now. I generally plan to fast 20 hours but sometimes time gets away from me and I’m over 24 hours without noticing. I would like to lose 5 more pounds. I do 20:4 during the week and more 16:8 on the weekends. Good luck - I absolutely love it. A big part of my problem was I tended to gorge on junk food just because it was there. IF keeps me from feeling that I have to eat all the junk I want before someone takes it away. I can eat whatever I want as long as it’s in my window.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've always been one to naturally skip breakfast and not snack, so intermittent fasting is easy for me. Unfortunately, since being put on hyperthyroid meds 18 months ago I've only continued to gain and I'm at my highest weight ever. I think I've been eating too much dairy lately because of the holidays (hot chocolate and charcuterie boards!) Currently, I drink a high fat coffee anywhere around noon-2pm, and that keeps me full till dinner. I do remember someone mentioning that eating only one meal a day stalled their weight loss and they had to move to 2 meals a day. I wonder if that's my issue? After New Year's I plan to do a juice fast for a few days and then roll right into a Whole 30 combined with intermittent fasting. I don't exercise at all which probably doesn't help either, especially as I get closer to age 40.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I want to try IF, I keep reading of how it can help with autoimmune disorder symptoms, but my functional medicine doctor says I also have adrenal fatigue and that IF can cause a lot of damage to hormone levels in people with adrenal fatigue.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm working on it. I've been sick since Thanksgiving weekend with some upper respiratory thing and I don't think my off diet is helping much (I've held steady but was losing a bit, slowly before). Planning to start back up tomorrow actually since all of our holiday visitors are leaving. I do it with low carb (PCOS diet), but no calorie counting.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by petesgirl View Post
    I want to try IF, I keep reading of how it can help with autoimmune disorder symptoms, but my functional medicine doctor says I also have adrenal fatigue and that IF can cause a lot of damage to hormone levels in people with adrenal fatigue.
    Was seriously about to post this, petesgirl. I am in a similar place, in fact will not be one bit surprised if an MS diagnosis is forthcoming for me (my dad has it, mom has multiple AIs, a clear diagnosis would be a huge relief). As of now, my diagnosis is severe adrenal fatigue, metal toxicity, thyroid issues, and random autoimmune issues that ebb and flow. I have done IF for a good bit of the time 3-4 years ago and then went super low carb 2 years ago when I was having tons of gut issues (and almost constant heartburn). That is when my adrenal fatigue went from manageable exhaustion and anxiety to absolutely out of control, unmanageable almost debilitating. So I am very much afraid to try IF again. For me, it was really the extreme low carb that got me though.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DH has tried IF for the last few months. He's only doing 16:8 but it's not working at all. He just keeps gaining. We saw the news last night where they talked about how good it was for you and he got so frustrated. I believe his issue is that he just eats oo much no matter when or for how long he eats. He's traveling a lot for work as well right now and that's not helping the situation. He's gonna keep trying to stick to it though!

Page 1 of 17 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast