Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
    div_0305 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Here's the recent thread about it. I highly suggest reading through, and especially ordering a copy of Delay, Don't Deny by Gin Stephens. https://windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/sh...43#post4335643

I am so happy to have chosen this lifestyle, it's really not a diet. It is truly about mindset, and becoming in tune with your body. I am on Facebook only for the support groups for Delay, Don't Deny, and a couple other groups. In addition, the podcasts by Gin Stephens are extremely helpful and motivating.

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Started IF last week and have gained 2 lbs. What?! I haven’t changed anything about the types of food I’m eating and sticking to a 16:8 schedule. I run on weekends and continue with that. DH on the other hand ate like crap over the holidays, says he put on 5lb, has been back to work 2 days and doesn’t exercise and already lost 2lbs doing NOTHING.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My DH did not lose anything and gained on IF. He stuck to is strictly but it did nothing. He finally gave up this week and went back to calorie counting which seems to be the only thing that works for him.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Wow you guys! I am on day 5 of seriously adhering to an IF routine and I'm surprisingly - enjoying it? The hardest part has been fixing breakfasts and lunches for kids and not just popping a piece of toast in my mouth! I've been doing 16:8. I think it would be easier if we ate dinner earlier (we are rarely done with the meal much before 8). I find I am eating more consciously and my body wants something protein filled and lean - my "break-fast" at noon has been hummus, olives and one piece of pita", some fruit in the afternoon and then our usual vegetarian dinner. I'm just so happy to have cut out the late night snacking, and hope I can stick with this! How long before you physically felt the benefits or weight loss? I have an ankle injury that is preventing exercise, so I'm doubly motivated to do this since I am not expending many calories, and less weight on the ankle will only help with healing it.
    In time, fixing meals for others won’t bother you at all. I’ve found that I’m much more particular about what I eat now. My kids were home on Friday and wanted to go to a local pizza place for lunch. We generally order individual slices rather than a whole pie so it’s basically reheated pizza. I realized reheated pizza didn’t interest me so they ate their pizza and I had water. I had planned to eat at the mall later but when we arrived I decided there wasn’t anything I really wanted to eat so I didn’t eat until I came home. Ended up doing a 22 hour fast that day. The biggest win for me has been ending the nonstop snacking I was doing.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Started IF last week and have gained 2 lbs. What?! I haven’t changed anything about the types of food I’m eating and sticking to a 16:8 schedule. I run on weekends and continue with that. DH on the other hand ate like crap over the holidays, says he put on 5lb, has been back to work 2 days and doesn’t exercise and already lost 2lbs doing NOTHING.

It’s not unusual to gain a bit of weight in the beginning. Trust the process and hopefully you’ll see the scale move down soon. I didn’t lose at 16:8. I had to go to 20:4 to see the scale move.
    Last edited by jgenie; 01-07-2020 at 10:27 PM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Join the private Delay Don't Deny FB group. I've been on there for just a few days and it seems like 16:8 is a common schedule for maintenance, not weight loss. I naturally eat on a 16:8 schedule so knew that wouldn't help me. Most people in the FB group don't notice weight loss till their fasting window extends past 18 hours. I started 3 days ago with 19:5 and have lost 2lbs so far. I also just started listening to the Delay Don't Deny audiobook.

Sent from my SM-A600P using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

I think the whole IF movement is quite interesting as my lifestyle always sort of led to a natural 18:6 - I was never a breakfast person and head in to work when DD go to school. In order to get stuff done there to be ready for the after school pick-up and activities, I rarely have time to eat. I usually have my first meal or snack around 3pm and we finish dinner by 8/8:30ish...so I feel very timely (even though this has been my lifestyle on weekdays for countless years - without the scale moving).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m glad to hear these updates! I too strongly suggest joining the Delay don’t deny fb page. It’s a very well run, supportive page, and the moderators don’t allow misinformation, including anything that goes against the DDD methodology. There are tons of useful tips there, especially the ones posted by the moderators. It’s also very inspirational! A lot of the issues you all have posted are covered there.
    Part of the DDD philosophy is clean fasting, which means you can only have water, black tea or coffee or green tea during the fast. There are other ways to do IF, and initially I was having milk in my tea during the fast, but this works so much better for me. I resisted clean fasting but glad I started it- something about the milk (eta: or anything with a flavor, even if it’s no calorie- here is an explanation- http://www.ginstephens.com/all-blog-...-while-fasting) triggering an insulin response..

I am not a disciplined person by nature. I used to eat all day and literally popped into the pantry almost every time I passed it, including late night. All that has stopped! I think the most important thing I’ve gained is a healthy relationship with food, and my inflammation and gassiness has greatly reduced. It took some time to get used to it, and the first couple of weeks were hard for me but I’m glad I got through it. I started at 12:12 and went slowly. Now I normally do 18:6 or 20:4, but I’m very flexible. At times it’s longer, and I’ve done a few 24 hours inadvertently.
    I’ve gone down four sizes since April, through a few vacations and a long family reunion, though I had longer eating windows. That is huge for me, as in the past it would take me months to get back to a healthy routine. I just got back from a two week vacation and got back to IF right away- I was looking forward to it. I can hardly recognize myself lol

I’ve learned that weight is not a good measure of success. I’ve never been into weighing and always judged it by how I look in my clothes and what size I can wear. There are some crazy pics on DDD of people who have lost only one pound but gone down several sizes. It all sounds crazy but I believe it! I have lost around 20 pounds.
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 01-08-2020 at 12:36 PM.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Globetrotter, I'm so glad that you posted that you started at 12:12. I've recently restarted IF and my current goal is 14:10. I know that's not a huge amount of time to fast, but as a constant, unthinking snacker, it's been a pretty big deal for me!!

Kindra178 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My endo said there are huge benefits 12:12, backed by research. She recommends early and/or skipping dinner as opposed to breakfast. She said metabolisms shut down at night and eating in the am kick starts metabolisms. I do a minimum of 12:12 but hoping to increase the fasting period.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve never believed in diets, which leads to yo-yoing. For me, to be sustainable, it has to be a lifestyle, and I can see myself doing this forever. I love it!
    I also think of it as a marathon, not a sprint. I started out very slowly and gradually increased the fasting hours (with a lot of flexibility) and, over time, it’s become second nature to me. I also find myself making healthier choices when I do eat, though on vacation I let go and do whatever I want. I’m also picky about what I eat and ask is it worth eating, versus mindless snacking that I used to do.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast