Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Family

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Family

Is there really more that needs to be said??

Love being with my family but still ....

dd1 asked if she could just have the marshmellos from the sweet potato. I said no, have some more protein first. My mother says Oh, there is protein in Marshmellos. Insisting that her nutritionist told her to have them if she cant eat meat for some reason. I burst out laughing. My aunt says you need a new nutritionist. She was adamant so we looked it up. .1g protein.

She left the table in a huff.

and of course, we're having the 'normal' arguments about leaving food out for days to defrost. Then leaving it out again for hours and hours.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

There may be a local source for you... but the link below is Washington State's food guidelines. Maybe you should refer her!

https://www.foodworkercard.wa.gov/

On a side note - that bit about the nutritionist recommending marshmallows - that's amazing.

Default Family

Marshmallows for protein? Almost as crazy as the argument I had with MIL about whether flossing was good or bad for your oral health. She’s from Eastern Europe and claimed that flossing was bad for your gums. I told her it wasn’t debatable, and that every single dentist in this country (which has better teeth than most every other country) says flossing is good for your teeth and gums. I’ve had so many ridiculous arguments with her about stuff like that, and DH and I have a ton of inside jokes about her crazy claims. Another good one was how she claimed that cheese from her country was “dietic” unlike the fatty cheese from the US. I had to tell her if any country could come up with a healthy, flavorful cheese without any fat in it, it would be the US since we are so obsessed with dieting here. Not her country where people use smoking and guilt/insults as a was to lose weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    There may be a local source for you... but the link below is Washington State's food guidelines. Maybe you should refer her!

https://www.foodworkercard.wa.gov/

On a side note - that bit about the nutritionist recommending marshmallows - that's amazing.

Sadly, there is no debating with them - my aunt & mother. At least, this year, the ham & turkey got to defrost in the kitchen and they only put it out on 12/23- ham got cooked 12/24 and turkey got to g back into the fridge.

few years ago, we arrived on Tue to find the turkey defrosting in the living room ...... in front of the FIREPLACE! Or, there was the year in FL where mom defrosted meat on the counter (in FL) for 24h then cooked it at 9in the am and left it out all day. When I refused to eat it or feed it to the kids, she made a huge stink about it - finally she put it back in the freezer to eat after we left(!)

they all have immune issues. but they've done it like this always and its been fine. For the most part, I just and try to remember there is a good chance we wont have too many more of these trips.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

DD had a little friend who always seemed to have a "stomach bug". I went to help them pack for a move, and they grilled chicken for everyone who came to help. We had lunch, and then continued packing. I came into the kitchen MANY hours later to find the chicken still laying out on the counter. I said "what would you like me to put the chicken in so that i can put it in the fridge?" The mom said, "oh, don't worry about it. We're just going to eat it for dinner. The next day was a school day, and guess who was out with a "stomach bug".....NOT MY KID!

I may be an overprotective microbiologist, but we RARELY get "stomach bugs"

My kids have to have several days of "Grammy detox" after coming back from my Mom's house. She would totally agree to letting the kids eat the marshmallows for every meal.

I remember staying at my grandmother's for a week and eating nothing but homemade cinnamon rolls for breakfast, pancake and sausage for dinner, and one year we went through 10 lemon meringue pies in a week!!! (all made from scratch) I loved my grandmother so much and it was awesome to be at her house for that week.

At least she observed food safety rules!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The amount of stupid that comes from family amazes me. My mom and MIL will have these endlessly circular conversations that drive.me.nuts. They'll talk about the dumbest sh*t like "Oh the dog's nose is cold so she is healthy" and plenty of other things that just don't even make logical sense. They're both totally healthy, physically, and no signs of memory loss. But it scares me...when I get that old, am I going to be stupid and have endlessly circular conversations too? OMG!

two what--maybe that is the only thing they can speak about to each other and still have a civil conversation?
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    two what--maybe that is the only thing they can speak about to each other and still have a civil conversation?
    No, they actually really like each other and get along GREAT. Hahahahaha.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

conversations about the dog's nose? Bless it.
    K

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast