♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default cruises in March? Newbie here

so DH and I have been toying with the idea of booking a cruise for spring break (early March). seems like from Expedia and the like, there are lots of deals to be had if you book before Jan 1st.

we have only been on one cruise over a decade ago, on our honeymoon, before we had kids. i have so many questions and would love to hear from the more experienced cruisers on this. for this first one we are thinking of something pretty simple (3-5 nights) and something nearby that is driveable (Galveston).

- for a family of 4 (two tweens), what is minimum room size? do u need to get a suite or go with 2 rooms?

- is Carnival cruise line decent, for trave with kids? there are several deals on expedia. the one we did ages ago was Norwegian (NCL) and we liked it well enough.

- i don't get the difference in room price vs . what deck they are on (deck 1 vs deck 9) - is higher better? (seems like it for the added cost?)

- what is considered a good deal? $600 per person (assuming 4-5 days?)

any advice appreciated. if we can find a good deal in the next day or so that would fit our schedule we may do it, if not we may wait until next year or later.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I get seasick so no cruises for me but my parents love it. No to Carnival. The vibe is young adults and they aren’t as well run. My parents were on one during a pending hurricane. All other brands were turning back but theirs pushed on only to hit terrible conditions and have trouble. Now they only cruise on higher end brands. They use Costco as there are always perks with them (credits, activities...)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ♥ms.pacman♥ View Post
    so DH and I have been toying with the idea of booking a cruise for spring break (early March). seems like from Expedia and the like, there are lots of deals to be had if you book before Jan 1st.

we have only been on one cruise over a decade ago, on our honeymoon, before we had kids. i have so many questions and would love to hear from the more experienced cruisers on this. for this first one we are thinking of something pretty simple (3-5 nights) and something nearby that is driveable (Galveston).

- for a family of 4 (two tweens), what is minimum room size? do u need to get a suite or go with 2 rooms?
    You can do either 2 rooms, and have one parent in each room when you book. Once onboard, you can sleep with whomever you like, but most lines require someone either 18yo or older in a cabin on the booking. Some cruiselines have connecting cabins, or many people book a balcony for themselves, and an inside cabin for the kids across the hall. Cabins are small, but it is possible to have 4 in even an inside cabin. You just have to plan to spend most of your time out of the cabin. Two cabins also gets you 2 bathrooms!

- is Carnival cruise line decent, for trave with kids? there are several deals on expedia. the one we did ages ago was Norwegian (NCL) and we liked it well enough.
    I have only sailed Princess and Disney. A shorter cruise, over Spring Break, on Carnival is going to be full of alcohol. I would steer clear. Royal Caribbean or Norwegian is probably best for price and that age.

- i don't get the difference in room price vs . what deck they are on (deck 1 vs deck 9) - is higher better? (seems like it for the added cost?)
    Many people prefer higher up, but I would not say it is better. Deck 1 is likely only inside and oceanview (window) cabins. In rougher seas though, the ship is most stable towards the center and lower decks.

- what is considered a good deal? $600 per person (assuming 4-5 days?) I consider a great deal under $100/pp/day. For a balcony cabin, that may not be possible.

any advice appreciated. if we can find a good deal in the next day or so that would fit our schedule we may do it, if not we may wait until next year or later.

See my responses above. I would strongly recommend finding an agent you can chat with, to get a feel for your family, rather than just booking yourself online. They should be able to get the same deal you see on the cruiseline website, and maybe even some extra small perks. We have booked directly, through Costco and through an agent.
    mom to Billy 12/07

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default cruises in March? Newbie here

Checked with my parents:
    Love Celebrity. Won’t go on Carnival. Princess is uneven. Same with Royal Caribbean (uneven)

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 12-30-2019 at 09:13 PM.

We love cruising and often cruise in March. Any 3-5 day cruise is more likely to be a “party” cruise, and even more so around college spring breaks. I would do a 7 day. Personally I like NCL, Royal Caribbean, and Princess. I choose not to go on Carnival. It is even more likely to be a party cruise than the others.

Search YouTube for ship name and type of room (like “NCL Gem minisuite”) to see videos and decide what you are willing to stay in. Look at deck plans to see what is above and below your room before you book it. Your best chance of a quiet room is having other cabins above and below you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17