Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Instant Pot newbie

I know, open the floodgates. I'm going to surf the forum, but could really use some help directing me to how to get going with this thing!

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Welcome to the IP life. I have two, because I use them side by side so frequently. It's completely changed the way I cook.

My first advice is not to rely too much on the presets. I find it works better to use manual plus the minutes based on the chart in the manual or recipes that I find via google. For example, the Rice button is maybe 12 minutes (totally guessing) but Jasmine Rice is better in the 4-6 minute range, whereas brown rice is much longer (maybe 18? can't remember). The rice button will work for both but the results just aren't as good. Err on the side of less time if you aren't sure because it really is fast! I like the cookbook Great Food Fast, but now that we've switched up our diet I just google for recipes or guess for lots of things. Honestly, I have had almost no Instant Pot fails.

I just made this recipe round-up for a friend.

Favorite Recipes

Breakfast Recipes in Instant Pot

Kale Meatball Tortellini Soup

Easy Mac & Cheese

Loaded (with Veggies) Potato Soup

Hard Boiled Eggs

Ribs

Mommy_Mea is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by #2ontheway View Post
    I know, open the floodgates. I'm going to surf the forum, but could really use some help directing me to how to get going with this thing!
    I don't use mine to it's potential, but these are the things I love:

Rice, Jasmine, 3 min on high followed by a 10 minute natural release. 1 cup water to 1 cup rice. Perfect every time!

Beans, I cook dried beans all the time. Varies a fair amount by type.

Hard boiled eggs, so easy to peel!

Salsa chicken: grab a jar of salsa, throw it in with chicken fresh or frozen. Then shred after for filling quesadillas, tacos, etc. I use my KitchenAid stand mixer to shred. So easy.

Mongolian beef, I have posted the recipe previously if you search.

Chili Verde: jar of salsa Verde, 2-3 cups of stock (chicken or veggie) and a pound of great northern beans. Cook like just cooking the beans. Can use some chicken too, shred and mix back in.
    DS1 June 2009
    DS2 June 2011

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I also don't use mine to its full potential, but I have found this method of poaching chicken breasts to be my favorite:

https://goodcheapeats.com/perfectly-...n-instant-pot/
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I make amazing apple butter in my IP.
    Currently have something called Santa Fe Soup in it, I modified Mix and Match Mama's recipe because she uses slow cooker.
    Earlier this week I made a yummy creamy veggie soup (with no dairy other than the cheese on top) that was basically potatoes, broccoli, onions, carrots and celery with broth and seasonings, then use the immersion blender on it and top with cheese and crunchy bacon pieces.
    Our family favorite meatloaf recipe is in the instant pot, it has bacon and BBQ sauce in the meatloaf, and mashed potatoes cook in the pot at the same time.
    The best and easiest chicken noodle soup- I don't even like chicken noodle soup but I love this version.
    If you'd like any of these recipes let me know, I'll have to figure out how to share them because they're all in my paprika app.

Just came back to add that the Santa Fe Soup was surprisingly yummy. Like a tortilla soup, but diet easy and quick!

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Baby Bargains mobile app
    Last edited by PunkyBoo; 01-31-2020 at 12:02 AM.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    I make amazing apple butter in my IP.
    Currently have something called Santa Fe Soup in it, I modified Mix and Match Mama's recipe because she uses slow cooker.
    Earlier this week I made a yummy creamy veggie soup (with no dairy other than the cheese on top) that was basically potatoes, broccoli, onions, carrots and celery with broth and seasonings, then use the immersion blender on it and top with cheese and crunchy bacon pieces.
    Our family favorite meatloaf recipe is in the instant pot, it has bacon and BBQ sauce in the meatloaf, and mashed potatoes cook in the pot at the same time.
    The best and easiest chicken noodle soup- I don't even like chicken noodle soup but I love this version.
    If you'd like any of these recipes let me know, I'll have to figure out how to share them because they're all in my paprika app.

any chance you can post links to all the recipes, they sound great. :-)

I'll try tomorrow morning
    Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    any chance you can post links to all the recipes, they sound great. :-)

First I bought this book, that's where I got the apple butter recipe, and we also like the baby back ribs and BBQ brisket recipes in there.

The creamy potato veggie soup we live is the one that Melaine posted above, (I think that blog is by a member of the BBB... ) but I don't add any half and half to it. I used 3 large russet potatoes, 2 smallish broccoli crowns and the rest of the recipe I follow. I'm always shocked that my DH and DS1, who are big meat eaters, love this soup.
    Here's the meatloaf recipe https://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/in...shed-potatoes/ we follow the recipe exactly except I put less butter and sour cream in the potatoes.
    Here's the soup we had last night https://mixandmatchmama.com/2016/02/santa-fe-soup/ it was really yummy and SO easy! I dumped the ingredients into the instant pot with the chicken at the bottom and set it to manual for 10 minutes. I could have used frozen chicken breasts, but i would have set the time to 12-13 minutes. In the future I'd add another can of beans to it, but it was delicious!
    Here's the chicken noodle soup https://www.number-2-pencil.com/inst...n-noodle-soup/ I follow the recipe exactly. I don't know why I like this recipe so much more than any other chicken noodle soup I've ever had!IMG_20200131_085046.jpgIMG_20200131_085105.jpg

I just noticed the author name isn't on the book photo- it's by Laurel Randolph.
    Last edited by PunkyBoo; 01-31-2020 at 01:26 PM.

Punkyboo, it’s my recipe and my blog so I am thrilled you like it! I’ll Have to check the chicken soup recipe because I make it a million different ways and should really try following an actual recipe for a change. I am so inconsistent and the results are also.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast